The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

NZ baby names that have been banned

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 03:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Default NZ baby names that have been banned

Sometimes TK I wonder just what goes on across the ditch

4Real? NZ reveals banned baby names - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

In 2008, New Zealand's family court ordered that a nine-year-old girl whose parents had called her "Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii" should have her name changed because it was embarrassing and "makes a fool of the child".

"At the time, judge Rob Murfitt criticised parents who gave their children bizarre names, citing examples such as "Number 16 Bus Shelter", "Midnight Chardonnay" and twins called "Benson" and "Hedges".

No, really???

Cheers, SB <---------- NOT my real name, my parents wouldn't have been that cruel, would they?

PS: In Adelaide a couple of years ago, a little boy was named Drew Peacock I kid you not!

I mean why not change your name as an Aussie to Hugh Kalyptus

Last edited by Sebastionbear1; 05-01-2013 at 03:40 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:31 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sebastionbear
"At the time, judge Rob Murfitt criticised parents who gave their children bizarre names, citing examples such as "Number 16 Bus Shelter", "Midnight Chardonnay" and twins called "Benson" and "Hedges".
I think those are all fine names.

They probably very accurately describe some of the factors involved in the child's conception.

I seem to recall some teenage mother on the news recently whose young daughter had been munched by a doberman or some such. Actually was starting to feel almost a bit sorry for her until she revealed that the daughter was called Sativa.

Call me old fashioned etc......

Old 05-01-2013, 06:45 AM
Default Top money saving tip

Save money on expensive personalized car number plates by simply changing your name to match your existing plate.
Yours etc.
Mr. KVL 741Y,

Old 05-01-2013, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kiwi TK
Save money on expensive personalized car number plates by simply changing your name to match your existing plate.
Yours etc.
Mr. KVL 741Y,
With the big exhaust pipe

Cheers, SB

Old 05-01-2013, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kiwi TK
I think those are all fine names.

They probably very accurately describe some of the factors involved in the child's conception.

I seem to recall some teenage mother on the news recently whose young daughter had been munched by a doberman or some such. Actually was starting to feel almost a bit sorry for her until she revealed that the daughter was called Sativa.

Call me old fashioned etc......
Here's some old fashioned names

PregNancy and syPhillis

Cheers, SB

Old 05-01-2013, 06:55 AM

That bleeding Carib we picked up last week has got one of them downpipe sized exhausts on it. Doesn't have the flames embossed into it though, so I may be looking to do an upgrade.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:22 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read about a couple who named their twin daughters Crystal and Chandel. The family last name is Lear.

Then there's the one my cousin told me years ago about a girl in his school district whose first name is pronounced 'fE-mally'. He said it is spelled "Female". Apparently, her mother looked at the birth certificate in the hospital, saw that word written on it, figured the hospital had already given her a name and that's what they kept.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:35 PM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No shortage of stupid people out there...

Old 05-01-2013, 04:26 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This brought the former singer of the band Dragonforce to my mind. The guy's name is Zp "zippy" Theart. His first name really is Zp, it's not short for anything.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:12 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

My coworkers last name is Case. He jokingly says if he has another boy he's going to name him Justin.

Quick Reply: NZ baby names that have been banned