The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

New Guy or Noob if you will..

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy or Noob if you will..

Good morning all. I'm a bit new to the site, but not new to CBRs or riding. Just wanted to stop in a say hey.
Currently own:
2008 CBR1000RR
2005 CRF450R
2003 XR 50
2002 RM125
1987 CBR1000F
(and as most of you I've owned many more that I wish to this day I would have kept.)

This weekend I picked up an 87 CBR1000F that's in pretty bad cosmetic shape. The guy I got it from was debating on turning it into a bobber, but was "done with crotchrockets". So I had to save her. Sad thing is that the plastics are absolutely thrashed. Things have already been chopped and cut. On the plus side, she runs like a champ and the engine and chassis is mechanically sound. Her only hope right now is to be converted to a streetfighter. So I wondering if anyone here have done any type of conversions to this beast of a bike?

I'll be posting some pics of the bike when I get some. I'm sure there are some people on here that have reservations with me fighting out this bike. I understand that so if anyone has any ideas for me I'm all ears. If I do restore it I would like to put on some 90's plastics as they're a bit more sexy than the 80's bits.

Looking forward to chatting with everyone.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:03 PM

you have a fairly massive fleet of bikes there, awesome. at least only the expensive parts on the bike are broken.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:28 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a lot of differences between the 90's fairing and the 80's. I think all the mounting points may be in different positions.

Lots of advice here though , keep us posted on progress and well done for saving the 'Old Girl'!!

Old 05-10-2010, 04:53 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forum, man! Very nice stable ya got there...

As far as fighting the Cane... there are a few around here, but not too many.
Basically, it's a matter of hiding wires and anything else that looks ugly when the clothes come off. (and these old girls aren't too pretty when their nekkid... )

Old 05-10-2010, 05:18 PM

G'day. I like the look of your fleet mate. From what I've read, hanging about on here, these are a real pain to turn into a fighter. I'd look around for some new plastics first and see if it's viable to restore. I'd also do a compression test to determine the state of the motor before throwing heaps of $$ at it. All you really need in your garage is a fast comfy sport tourer and these bikes have that job well covered...that said, there were a couple of guys a while ago doing the fighter thing (sorry, can't remember who) so try the search tab up the top of the page.

Where on the planet are you? We're all over the place.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:14 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/...0001987-88.htm
Replacement fairings
www.blackbears.ru
or
www.carlsalter.com for workshop manuals
The rest of the fairings you can find all over e-Bay - mainly in the UK.
Maybe try some bike breakers too.
Good luck !

These fat old ladies look better with their clothes on.....

Old 05-11-2010, 09:06 AM

You are all correct, she's definately far from hottie status with her clothes off. Lot's of wires, overflows, fuse boxes everywhere. I'm already comin up with a plan on cleaning up her lines and making her as sexy as possible. I'll start a build thread on here as soon as I have some time. I've already done some ebay shoppin and placed a bid on an RC51 subframe to clean up her ***-end, a 900RR swingarm, and a few other odds and ends. It'll be a little bit before I start modin them to the bike cause I'll need to get fitment figured out. Plan is to give her an *** lift, put some dirtbike bars on her. Maybe mod the tank a bit by molding some gauges into her like the fuel guage and oil pressure guage. I wanted to do a front end swap, but I think that'll have to wait for a bit because an entire front end on ebay is roughly $500 minus a rim, tire and rotors. Should be fairly simple since most of the CBR's 87-2008/09 stearing stems and bearing are the same size and length. Or I'll just stick with the front she's got and pretty her up with some gators, clean headlight (want to come up with something that keeps the stocker), and either move the oil cooler or block it off. Plus some heavier weight springs and oil. So this will definately take some time and patience. But in the end I want to keep her as much Honda and as much CBR as possible. Cause nothings more sexy as a Honda IMHO.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:24 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

move the oil cooler or block it off
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO it NEEDS that oil cooler - leave it where it is - anywhere else makes it vulnerable to stones and damage.
As for the rest......hmmmmmmmmmm Your bike, your decision.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by ChipsC
and either move the oil cooler or block it off.
The rest sounds interesting but I wouldn't f'k with the oil cooler either. In fact, if I were to remove the fairing on one of these I'd probably fit a bigger cooler. I think Mr. Honda has increased the air flow through the cooler with his cunning (and attractive ) fairing. I had a sexy 13 row cooler with fat braided hoses on my GPZ1170 (Wiseco high comp etc.). It looked how the bike ran..cool. Just a thought mate, looking forward to the pics.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:28 PM

I know blockin it off could be a bad idea, I was thinking of moving it somewhere similar to the pic. What do you think. I just think if I'm doing a fighter, it may look a bit gnarly on the forks.

Quick Reply: New Guy or Noob if you will..