The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

My New Ride (sold the old girl)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 04:18 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My New Ride (sold the old girl)

It's about time I got "modernized". It's just been too long with an old POS.
So yesterday, I got to run this.....

HA HA HA...
I'd never get rid of the old CBR, if that's what you thought....
I love her...

This new truck is sweet, though. I don't normally run them, but when people are off.. or they need some help... they call me.
I ran about 12 loads yesterday (all in the mud....which is most fun), and it's frickin' awesome. Nothing like sliding around in the mud in a 75 ton, 6WD truck!

It's so much nicer than the old one we had. Updated controls and everything.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:29 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sitting up high, the power shuddering on that solid steel platform moving independently under you, a big load on her so she's gliding over the dirt powering her way forward turbo's whineing like a Banshee and that the hydro pivot chassis steering .................................................. ...mmmaaaaaannnnn

U lucky SOB ................

drivin' some big stuff not as nice in the past .....it's exhilirating 4 sure

Old 07-18-2009, 04:35 PM
Administrator - Retired

Yep... so much nicer than some of the old chit, that's for sure.

And you're right about the rush. Especially when you're dumping on a steep grade and the front wheels come up off the ground.
You gotta be pretty good with mirrors, too..

When you're cruising, though... you basically just want to crush chit....because you can! lol..

Old 07-18-2009, 10:51 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Back in the early 90's

Used to run with an exact copy of this to Edina (Minneapolis) MN
and back for a few years...........In my single days...tough business
Only mine was a twin stack Big CAT

Attached Thumbnails My New Ride (sold the old girl)-aeromax.jpg  
Old 07-18-2009, 11:10 PM
Administrator - Retired

We've got a few old tractors, too.

We have a 1986 Frieghtliner. It kicks the old KW's *** all over the place... lol..

The old CAT stuff was really good equipment.
Anymore, though... I don't see why there are so many people that swear by it (well, as far as Heavy Equipment goes....).
I like the Volvo stuff. It's like night and day as far as I'm concerned.

We have an old 1988 CAT IT28 (Integrated tool carrier), and I absolutely love that thing. As far as an all-around smaller loader, forklift, etc., it's great.

However, the big loader we have is a Volvo, and it's so much nicer than the equivalent CAT loader (IMHO).

Old 07-19-2009, 12:22 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just gimme a JCB
It's the only one I can operate..........
Not surprising I guess !

Old 07-19-2009, 08:27 AM
Administrator - Retired

Ha ha.. the Volvo BM Dumper.... That's what we got rid of to get this one!
That's funny. (As if the name BM for a Dumper isn't funny enough...lol)

The new one isn't brand new, but it's an '06, maybe? New enough to be really sweet compared to the old one. The pic was taken at Volvo, but maybe I'll snap a few of me doin' cool chit at work...

I actually work at a landfill. We move dirt, auto fluff, and slate constantly. It's about a 600 acre facility with a slate quarry onsite.
We have the IT28, a CAT D5 dozer, D8 Dozer, 2 compactors (836G), the Volvo loader (160), 2 Volvo articulating dumpers, 2 trackhoes (one mammoth Komatsu), a smaller CAT FEL/Hoe, and a Big JD Tractor.

That 988 looks pretty cool... Definitely a monster!

These machines can certainly be a handful sometimes, no doubt about that.
You know how it is when you're cruising in a dumper over rough terrain. It'll knock the chit out of you!
Then there's backing... with a huge dumpbed. It's all about both mirrors. Friday, they had me dumping at the end of a 300ft ridge that's about the width of the truck, all mud, and drops straight off.. about 175ft down. Talk about...

I used to put the forks on the IT loader and just run around site doing stupid stuff with it in order to practice.
My favorite (and people always liked this one), was to use one of the forks to open a trash can, then pick up a 5gal bucket by the handle, drop the bucket in the trashcan and close the lid.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:41 PM
Administrator - Retired

Ha ha... good stories, man...

Yep, these things hit HARD! Especially when they hit each other.

I've been running equip for about 5yrs. Not everyday, though. I spend more time in the lab or fixing chit. I've put enough time in that the older guys don't **** with me anymore, though.....

Here's a similar crash story.
We got a new guy (mechanic) and he was running the track hoe, loading up dirt trucks. Well, the guy in the dumper is an oldhead and has been pushing steel for years. (Drove a trash truck in the 70's and started working the landfill in the 80's)
Needless to say, the oldhead isn't isn't gonna take any chit from a greenhorn operator.
Well, the kid in the hoe told him that he needed to take one more load of dirt, and the oldhead disagreed.
So the new guy swings the bucket of the hoe into the dumpers path and blocks him, and again tells him that he needs another load.
I'm hearing the arguement on the radio, and finally the oldhead says "You better move that ****in' bucket, kid... or I'm goin' through it!!"
Next thing you hear is BOOM!!
He ran that six-wheeled dumper directly into that hoe bucket at speed.

Next thing I see is the kid in the hoe jumpin' out and running full speed for the woods! He was scared chitless and said later "I thought he was gonna kill me! That ****er's crazy!!"

Quick Reply: My New Ride (sold the old girl)