The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Lane Splitting

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 04:24 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lane Splitting

OK guys,let me give you a little background on this. I live in a very small town, to me a traffic jam is when I have to wait to cross the road on my 3 minute walk to work.

So I go to pick up the CBR from kiwi JK and one of my first experiences on it was the early morning commute into Wellington to catch the ferry in rush hour traffic. JK is up and gone on the Gixxer between the lanes and I'm tootling along, being polite and even using my indicator. Meanwhile the hoons on their Super Motard bikes are coming up behind and flashing me to pull over. Fair enough, they do it every day. Clearly, what I should have done is watched this video before I went to the big smoke and then I wouldn't have felt so much like the Country Mouse when I got there.

And it's OK, it doesn't end in tears (but there are so very many reasons it should)

Oh and Sprock, I am not condoning this in any way, think of me as a conduit. I don't do this ****, it just get's sent to me by other people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XihQeZpwqpE

Old 11-30-2010, 04:34 AM

You sure that wasn't Kiwi TK bikecam of our ride in to catch the ferry?

Old 11-30-2010, 04:43 AM

You're up late old man, don't forget you're turning 60 soon. Impressive thou' isn't it?

Old 11-30-2010, 05:36 AM

Yeah, kinda comfortable enough doing the white line thing on the open road, but when it's all clogged up like that you never know when some clown is gonna remember that they need new ballet shoes for their daughter just as they drive past Ballet Shoes R Us on the other side of the road. And so they whip a quick U turn.

At least at open roads the chances of them pulling a quick U turn are severely reduced, unless of course they're a stunt driver or a cop. (Remind me to tell you about the cop from Alexandra that decided to pull a quick U turn one day)

Old 11-30-2010, 10:51 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thought I saw Indiana Hurricane at one point there in the Traffic

all I can say is two words ............ Death Wish !

What they need there are a couple of Kiwi Coppers

Old 11-30-2010, 02:05 PM

I'll be the grownup here, that guy should be locked up, for his own good. He has an extremely short life expectancy as it is. OK, we all press the envelope a bit a times, but the point is to pick your spots when you do so. To do so in that kind of traffic is just insane. We all can critique the cagers and the things they do, but to expect that cages will anticipate that someone will be splitting lanes in moving traffic at maybe 40 MPH faster than the traffic is moving is totally unreasonable. Anyone of those cars could have at anytime just moved over in their lane a bit or decided to change lanes in front of the R1 guy, and the fault would have still been totally on him. He's a menace, he gives us all a bad name, and he shouldn't be on the road.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Big nuts, little brain, great reflexes and, presumably, no kids! I used to make a fourth lane outside the cagers on the motorway at 140mph+ and cross all the lanes quite regularly. I rode for 12 months and the only vehicle that overtook me on the motorways was my mate on his bike...it was a stupid game, I know. Wouldn't dream of it now though. If I killed myself, Kath and the kids would never speak to me again...literally

Hey, is it just me or were you guys leaning from side to side whilst watching the vid?

Stupid but good to watch! The wheelies on the wrong side of the double whites were a nice touch. At least it was unlikely that somebody would turn left in front of him...only somebody else on day release from the nut house anyway

Quick Reply: Lane Splitting