The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

I think we have proved that:

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 11:15 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I look at all the other really active sections like the F4i (which is also an older bike) and wonder why they can't "get it together" like the Hurricane section does.
As for running out of Hurricanes - don't think that'll happen - we have members we can call on who have parts on their bikes from everywhere, as far north as Estonia, and south to the land Downunda. And we have members who shall remain nameless who have as many as THREE of the old ladies.
The point is and it's been made so clear is that because the bikes are old you can't just buy "bling" - you have to make it yourself or one of the other members does, and we're always willing to share, be it knowledge, spare parts, or just encouragement.
The other sections don't have the support base to call on, and the riders are in it more as a personal thing than the Hurricanes. We've made owning and running these bikes more of a team game. It has to be - some parts are just NOT available unless another member on here will send you his spares kept "just in case" to get you running again.
Many of us have become friends away from the forum and will probably never meet in person, but we share a love of bikes in general and specifically the Hurricanes.These bikes have won more "bike of the year" awards worldwide (in the day)than any other specific marque. That in itself tells me that 1 They were bloody good bikes to start with and 2 They will be around long after some of the "bling things" have long gone to the wreckers yard.
And long may they continue to enjoy the support and admiration of anyone who's ever owned one. And a helluva lot who haven't.

Maybe we should have our own competition too, just for Hurricanes.
That'd be a real dogfight.

May the best dog win, and let's remember
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
We have plenty of fight left in these old dogs.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:18 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Although, putting Rossi on a Ducati, and Schumacher in a Mercedes (i think it was) is almost the same as saying "dont win anymore."

I do like that the ROTM winning is by members that type until their fingers bleed around here. I'd rather see that than having someone with 12 post win, and are not heard from again until they need to ask what oil to put in their bike. 2 guys last year, won and sold their bike immediately. BTW, that should disqualify them from roty, if trout reads this....

Last edited by 74demon; 01-02-2013 at 11:41 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:04 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe the qualification for ride of the month should have a minimum post count in future too, which is NOT to say that anyone didn't deserve their win, just that they should be around awhile too.
Selling the winning bike is a personal issue, too many reasons to do so which have nothing to do with choice in this economy....................

Old 01-03-2013, 12:57 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Parachilna Nymph

They actually sound quite dangerous, like so many things in Australia they have the potential to kill you, but the worst thing about this particular pest is that once it's been seen, it can't be unseen.

Sadly, I'm sure that is an image I will take to my grave.

Anywhoooo, back on topic (if there ever really was one), I seem to have quite undeliberately stirred up a bit of a hornet nest here.

My original observation was (as always) somewhat tongue in cheek.

I love the way this particular bunch of guys all hang together, and use our collective friendship and numbers to block vote. To me, it's actually quite funny; we can just rally our collective power and get the winner we want.

But I wouldn't want to see other members being put off even competing because they just assume that we will block vote the 1K home.

And, Shadow, that idea of yours for a Hurricane of the Month? I can't imagine that would fly, too many blooded noses etc.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi TK
The Parachilna Nymph

They actually sound quite dangerous, like so many things in Australia they have the potential to kill you, but the worst thing about this particular pest is that once it's been seen, it can't be unseen.

Sadly, I'm sure that is an image I will take to my grave.

Anywhoooo, back on topic (if there ever really was one), I seem to have quite undeliberately stirred up a bit of a hornet nest here.

My original observation was (as always) somewhat tongue in cheek.

I love the way this particular bunch of guys all hang together, and use our collective friendship and numbers to block vote. To me, it's actually quite funny; we can just rally our collective power and get the winner we want.

But I wouldn't want to see other members being put off even competing because they just assume that we will block vote the 1K home.

And, Shadow, that idea of yours for a Hurricane of the Month? I can't imagine that would fly, too many blooded noses etc.
Kiwi TK "Sadly, I'm sure that is an image I will take to my grave"

What!!?? Should I have titled it "Moon Rising Over Parachilna"? Less scary then?

Kiwi TK "And, Shadow, that idea of yours for a Hurricane of the Month? I can't imagine that would fly, too many blooded noses etc."

We don't get mad..............we get even

Or maybe we DO get mad, then get even anyway

Cheers, SB

Old 01-03-2013, 01:55 AM

Can I use that baby photo of you for my sig pic? I like it.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:49 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kiwi TK
Can I use that baby photo of you for my sig pic? I like it.

Aww heck TK, it's not me - as cute (and apparently grumpy) as he is.

In all my baby pics I have no clothes on.

Cheers, SB

Old 01-03-2013, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Sebastionbear
Aww heck TK, it's not me - as cute (and apparently grumpy) as he is.

In all my baby pics I have no clothes on.

Cheers, SB

Nothing changes, everything stays the same.

Cheers, Happy New Year and Goodnight.

TK

Old 01-03-2013, 12:39 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The Parachilna Nymph

I hear they're easily tamed with a combination of bluegrass music and Strongbow Cider.

Just don't run out of either one and please put some clothes on that man before you take him out in public

(In my best British documentarian's voice)

Here we observe the mating rituals of the rare and elusive Parachilna Nymph. These strange rituals only take place in the warmer climes of the Australian Summer apparently, experts theorize, to prevent a certain shrinkage that would pose an obvious turn-off to the female of the species

Last edited by wooferdog; 01-03-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by wooferdog
The Parachilna Nymph

I hear they're easily tamed with a combination of bluegrass music and Strongbow Cider.

Just don't run out of either one and please put some clothes on that man before you take him out in public

Parachilna Nymph - YouTube

(In my best British documentarian's voice)

Here we observe the mating rituals of the rare and elusive Parachilna Nymph. These strange rituals only take place in the warmer climes of the Australian Summer apparently, experts theorize, to prevent a certain shrinkage that would pose an obvious turn-off to the female of the species