The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

I suspect Seb will enjoy this :

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 02:58 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I suspect Seb will enjoy this :

and kiwiJK as well.

The Crown Range Road between my place and Queenstown. They've both been over that road once or twice and can confirm it is a pretty nice bit of track.

All the usual disclaimers apply :

"Do not try this at home; filmed under controlled circumstances with strict adult supervision etc, etc ...."

Old 05-06-2013, 03:16 AM

Hi Guys

For those of you who don't know Crown Range Road is the highest sealed highway in N.Z.
The sequence in the vid is from the southern end to the summit, the descent from there down through the Cardrona valley is motorcycle Nirvana I can only dream of being able to ride as a closed road .
Last trip south Leon (son) and I Rode it in both directions in almost idyllic conditions and survived to have a beer at Cardrona hotel.(I'm sure TK will be able to post up a pic of that famous establishment)

Old 05-06-2013, 03:24 AM

Like this??

Name:  DSC02125r.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  236.4 KB

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC02125r.jpg (236.4 KB, 11 views)
Old 05-06-2013, 04:38 AM

Nice road. Nice bike in the picture.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Crown Range, mmmmmmmmmmmm fantastic bit of road, mmmmmmmmmmm, just thinking of (gently ) punting your bike through there, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Think I'd better go clean up

Cheers, SB

Old 05-06-2013, 05:07 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kiwi JK
Hi Guys

For those of you who don't know Crown Range Road is the highest sealed highway in N.Z.
The sequence in the vid is from the southern end to the summit, the descent from there down through the Cardrona valley is motorcycle Nirvana I can only dream of being able to ride as a closed road .
Last trip south Leon (son) and I Rode it in both directions in almost idyllic conditions and survived to have a beer at Cardrona hotel.(I'm sure TK will be able to post up a pic of that famous establishment)
I can too

Same bike, recovered saddle, different rider, same pub!!

Cheers, SB

Old 05-06-2013, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Sebastionbear
I can too

Same bike, recovered saddle, different rider, same pub!!

Cheers, SB
Same bike, same pub, different day, different rider.

I'm sure though, that most would agree that the rider in the first picture is much better looking (even though you can't actually see me, because I'm behind the camera).

I have never quite decided which side of the Crown Range I like best. They are quite a contrast, the other side is a real zig zag switchback, my side is quite fast running (but generally blind) curves (often with rockfall on the inside). It is totally different depending on which end you start from.

But I do know that riding down the zig zag in the rain is very much an acquired taste, that I haven't quite acquired yet.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:49 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kiwi TK
Same bike, same pub, different day, different rider.

I'm sure though, that most would agree that the rider in the first picture is much better looking (even though you can't actually see me, because I'm behind the camera).

I have never quite decided which side of the Crown Range I like best. They are quite a contrast, the other side is a real zig zag switchback, my side is quite fast running (but generally blind) curves (often with rockfall on the inside). It is totally different depending on which end you start from.

But I do know that riding down the zig zag in the rain is very much an acquired taste, that I haven't quite acquired yet.

My preference TK is coming UP from Q'town. Tight corners to warm the tyres up, nice steep sections in between, THEN the fast flowing stuff, all the time thinking of the icy cold cider waiting for you at Cardrona.

Oops, better go clean up again

Cheers, SB

Old 05-06-2013, 06:21 AM

Oh yes, the famous Cardrona Hotel is always worth a stop (coming or going from mine).

I have always had a suspicion, that they have some type of Velcro laid across the the road, to stop you riding past without stopping.

But that's OK, I'm sure there are far worse pubs in the world to stop at.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kiwi TK
Oh yes, the famous Cardrona Hotel is always worth a stop (coming or going from mine).

I have always had a suspicion, that they have some type of Velcro laid across the the road, to stop you riding past without stopping.

But that's OK, I'm sure there are far worse pubs in the world to stop at.
Yeah.. I'm currently staying at it! Tomorrow night too. Oh dear

At least it has the internerd that way I can still talk with all my international special friends who are similarly afflicted with CBRitis I did have a dose of Suzuki recently but it appears to have cleared up.

Cheers, SB

Quick Reply: I suspect Seb will enjoy this :