The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

I Get Slightly Pi55ed Off

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 04:34 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I Get Slightly Pi55ed Off

I get slightly pi55ed off when people break perfectly good bikes for no other reason than the sum of the parts is worth more than the whole

Here's a prime example

HONDA CBR1000F CBR1000 CBR 1000 1993 PETROL FUEL TANK ! | eBay

I thought it might be a seized engine but all the parts listed are in good condition, low mileage bike, maybe in better condition than mine. She's just been butchered for profit

Old 08-29-2011, 04:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear ya man, its getting harder to find the older bikes that someone might want just for a collection. But all in all he might have tried to sell it whole and noone bought it, so its a tossup - do you keep it or strip and sell parts. The bad part about stripping it is he will end up with alot of the parts that noone wants in the end.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:52 PM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting

Hey:

When your bike has had a spill in the drive from the neighbors kid bumping it with his new car and it has put a big dent in your tank you will be thankful for that guy breaking the same bike in better condition than yours, for a part you can't find anywhere else, in any shape.

Dub

Old 08-29-2011, 05:17 PM

I understand where you're coming from Dub, and I'm all for breaking bikes that are un-economical to repair or have been down the road.

But to break a perfectly good bike, simply because the parts are worth more is hard to swallow.

I've checked out the other parts from the bike and they are all in good condition, here in the UK it would have sold easily.

Just saying it's a sad end to a good bike.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:26 PM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting

Hey:

And hawkwind, I too understand it your way. It has always bugged me when people do this to cars and bikes, till I could not find a new replacement tank and only found substandard parts till I found someone that took a chance and broke a bike that I owned at the time that I had raced, that had became a desireble streetbike after it was no longer competetive race wise. My endurance CB1100R was a great running, high performance, professionally maintained bike, but had different paint schemes than standard due to sponsors colours. I was happy to find a great condition bog standard street tank and seat unit to match up with my bike and painted a set of the fairings to match back to those colours perfectly. I got to sell some of my spares to other racers, kept some and put my well raced bike back to standard and sold it to someone at a fair price that takes better care of it than I would ever have given it so we are all happy (He has it on display in his living room).

Dub

Old 08-29-2011, 07:25 PM

OK Dub I give in

Don't know if you looked at the parts the guy is selling, but I'm sure they will make someone very happy. The swingarm looks to be pristeen.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by cbr1988
my endurance cb1100r was a great running, high performance, professionally maintained bike,
dub
Nice!

Old 08-29-2011, 09:15 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand where both of you are coming from but it still kills me to see a perfectly good bike get parted. I've never thought that 1000F parts were that rare.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:05 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I know a guy parting bikes out now. The ones he is breaking down are in rough shape and will never see the road again. I have to agree that breaking down a good bike just for cash is sad.

That guy has several bikes that have seen the chopping block. He has over 10,000 parts listed.

Quick Reply: I Get Slightly Pi55ed Off