The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

How Long is it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 12:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Long is it?

I found this while researching another thread that devolved into ...well lets just say i found this and wanted to share.

I could not find an Irish mile anywhere on the chart.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:48 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Wiki is my friend.
Irish mile

The Irish mile was longer still.[13] In Elizabethan times, four Irish miles was often equated to five English, though whether the statute mile or the "old English" mile is unclear.[13] By the seventeenth century, it was 2,240 yards (6,720 feet, 1.27 statute miles, 2,048 metres).[4][22][23] Again, the difference arose from a different length of the rod in Ireland (usually called the perch locally): 21 feet as opposed to 16½ feet in England.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:56 AM

I find the conversation even funnier now because i sourced the chart from wiki as well.
English units - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-09-2011, 02:19 AM

I guess it's going with the more recognized units. Can't see a US mile there either.

I think you guys might have thought I was doing a bit of p1ss taking there but believe me, the imperial system needs no help from me to make itself look ridiculous.

Viz ; a "barrel of oil"

The origins of the 42-gallon oil barrel are obscure, but some historical documents indicate that around 1866, early oil producers in Pennsylvania came to the conclusion that shipping oil in a variety of different containers was causing buyer distrust. They decided they needed a standard unit of measure to convince buyers that they were getting a fair volume for their money. They agreed to base this measure on the more-or-less standard 40-gallon whiskey barrel, but, as an additional way of assuring buyer confidence, they added an additional two gallons to ensure that any measurement errors would always be in the buyer's favor, on the same principle as that underlying the baker's dozen and some other long units of measure.[citation needed] By 1872, the standard oil barrel was firmly established as 42 US gallons.[10]

I've just read that through and I feel a Hitchhikers Guide moment coming on.

Last edited by kiwi TK; 12-09-2011 at 02:21 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by kiwi TK
I've just read that through and I feel a Hitchhikers Guide moment coming on.

I've known and acknowledged for quite awhile that I reside in the largest insane asylum in the solar system, possibly the galaxy. Wonko the Sane brought me to that conclusion.

“It seemed to me that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include a set of detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilization I could live in and stay sane.” ~Wonko the Sane

Old 12-09-2011, 02:58 AM

Ahh - The Hurricane Saloon - where men are men, and girls don't exist.

I am sad to admit I actually quite like this place, but I would never make the mistake of asking a serious question in here.

Anyway - hands up please if you knew it was done by The Eagles.

The Eagles-Journey of the Sorcerer ( Long Version) - YouTube

Old 12-09-2011, 03:24 AM

Nothing dirty going on here.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:21 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote I think you guys might have thought I was doing a bit of p1ss taking there but believe me

Wot ? You ?
Thought never crossed my mind

A Cape foot is a unit of length defined as 1.0330 English feet (and equal to 12.396 English inches, or 0.314858 meters). It was established in Cape Town, South Africa in an Act of 1859 and was found in documents of belts and diagrams relating to landed property.[1] Its use was discontinued in 1950, but it is still found in title deeds for some South African property that was initially surveyed during the time that the unit was in official use.

A friend of mine who's a surveyor still has a "Cape foot" measure in his kit and a couple of years ago he was stopped for speeding.
He pulled out the Cape Foot measure and told the cops their measurements were wrong.
THEY BELIEVED HIM AND LET HIM GO.

IN THE VEIN OF WONKO THE SANE:
Blart Versenwald III

In the epilogue of the novel So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish, Blart Versenwald III was a top genetic engineer, and a man who could never keep his mind on the job at hand. When his homeworld was under threat from an invading army, he was tasked with creating an army of super-soldiers to fight them. Instead, he created (among other things) a remarkable new breed of superfly that could distinguish between solid glass and an open window, and also an off-switch for children. Fortunately, because the invaders were only invading because they couldn't cope with things back home, they too were impressed with Blart's creations, and a flurry of economic treaties rapidly secured peace.

Quick Reply: How Long is it?