CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   The Hurricane Saloon (https://cbrforum.com/forum/hurricane-saloon-79/)
-   -   How cold is too cold for YOU to ride (https://cbrforum.com/forum/hurricane-saloon-79/how-cold-too-cold-you-ride-92037/)

kilgoretrout 04-23-2009 09:15 AM

How cold is too cold for YOU to ride

43F (6.1C) didn't look so bad on the thermometer this morning. :)

However, with 30mph crosswinds, after 20miles I was a bit chilly. I rode last April in 40F weather, and it was definately cold, but I couldn't help myself sometimes!! I just wanted to start riding!

So, how low will you guys go? I have a lined jacket that helps a bit, but not a big heavy coat. I think a big coat would help some. I also just wear jeans all the time. I wear regular, non-insulated gloves.

So where do you all draw the line and say "Screw that... just too dam cold!!" :D

swisherred 04-23-2009 09:18 AM

I once rode my bike through an entire winter in chicago...rain, snow, ice, didnt matter...we are talking -60ºF in the dead of winter. sucked, but had to...had no car. :)

kilgoretrout 04-23-2009 09:29 AM

He he... bet that was interesting, red. :D

Instead of honing your skills, it sounds like it was more about survival. :)

kaska 04-23-2009 09:32 AM

with hurricane i have ridden -8C
But when i was younger then with soviet made "Minsk" and -26Celsius - at Christmas eve - it was cold, but i had to do santa:D

rjporter 04-23-2009 11:38 AM

i try not to ride when it is lower than 40 degrees out. kind of takes the joy out of riding when it feels like you are having a seizure because you are shivering so much.

CBRriderNevada 04-23-2009 12:51 PM

Cold Riding

I also do not ride in the cold anymore. Went down on ice and said that's enough cold riding. Did ride over the Sierras in a snow storm. That was back in 1977. Stupid youth....:) The bike "snake walked" most of the way.
What is my temperature limit now? About 50 degrees F. I have two cars for the cold weather stuff. I ride for pleasure now so there comes a different mind set with pleasure riding instead of "must/have to" riding.:cool:

kilgoretrout 04-23-2009 02:12 PM

I hear ya, I've been trying to limit it to above 40F, but even that's really pushing it for me. If I wore more cold weather gear, I could do it, but...
I really hate peeling my frozen fingers from the grips when I arrive.

I'm glad some people came along that don't like to ride in arctic weather, I was starting to feel like a sissy after the first couple posts... :D:D

hawkwind 04-23-2009 02:28 PM

When I was out the other morning it was cold 'cos I had my summer gear on , didn't think it would be that bad but the wind chill was pretty uncomfortable and my hands were cold.

Had forgotten how cold it could get:) , during the winter I was riding at anything down to about 0 centigrade so long as it was dry , but you could feel the grip going at the tops of hills (not funny).I only have summer gloves so frozen fingers were the worst thing , but my normal leathers kept the worst of the cold out , oh and steamed up visor , kinda hard to see when you stop at lights , so the trick was not to breath when stationary :D:D:D

CBRriderNevada 04-23-2009 04:14 PM

Anti Fog stuff

Hawk, just use some of this stuff. They send you this little container with instructions on how to find the ingredience. Just follow the little critter around for a while then when "it is time" slip the little container under the "business end" and voila instead Anti Fog cream!:D
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___83081
P.S. This Anti Fog stuff will help with your not staying stationary and not breathing!!!
P.S.S. Trout if anyone calls you a sissy, I will put on my designer stilettos and kick them in the arse!

kilgoretrout 04-23-2009 11:11 PM

Anti-fog is a must have. I use rain-ex with the built in anti-fog. It works pretty good.
I wanted just the regular fog stuff, but couldn't find it anywhere. I used to have some military anti-fog that I bought at a surplus store a while back, but I can't find it. I used to use it in my paintball mask. Worked great! I think shadow was telling me about a visor that doesn't need coated. It's good to go on it's own. I can't remember the name (maybe I dreamed the whole thing).