The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

How cold is too cold for YOU to ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 09:15 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How cold is too cold for YOU to ride

43F (6.1C) didn't look so bad on the thermometer this morning.

However, with 30mph crosswinds, after 20miles I was a bit chilly. I rode last April in 40F weather, and it was definately cold, but I couldn't help myself sometimes!! I just wanted to start riding!

So, how low will you guys go? I have a lined jacket that helps a bit, but not a big heavy coat. I think a big coat would help some. I also just wear jeans all the time. I wear regular, non-insulated gloves.

So where do you all draw the line and say "Screw that... just too dam cold!!"

Old 04-23-2009, 09:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I once rode my bike through an entire winter in chicago...rain, snow, ice, didnt matter...we are talking -60ºF in the dead of winter. sucked, but had to...had no car.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:29 AM
Administrator - Retired

He he... bet that was interesting, red.

Instead of honing your skills, it sounds like it was more about survival.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:32 AM

with hurricane i have ridden -8C
But when i was younger then with soviet made "Minsk" and -26Celsius - at Christmas eve - it was cold, but i had to do santa

Old 04-23-2009, 11:38 AM

i try not to ride when it is lower than 40 degrees out. kind of takes the joy out of riding when it feels like you are having a seizure because you are shivering so much.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:12 PM
Administrator - Retired

I hear ya, I've been trying to limit it to above 40F, but even that's really pushing it for me. If I wore more cold weather gear, I could do it, but...
I really hate peeling my frozen fingers from the grips when I arrive.

I'm glad some people came along that don't like to ride in arctic weather, I was starting to feel like a sissy after the first couple posts...

Old 04-23-2009, 02:28 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was out the other morning it was cold 'cos I had my summer gear on , didn't think it would be that bad but the wind chill was pretty uncomfortable and my hands were cold.

Had forgotten how cold it could get , during the winter I was riding at anything down to about 0 centigrade so long as it was dry , but you could feel the grip going at the tops of hills (not funny).I only have summer gloves so frozen fingers were the worst thing , but my normal leathers kept the worst of the cold out , oh and steamed up visor , kinda hard to see when you stop at lights , so the trick was not to breath when stationary

Old 04-23-2009, 11:11 PM
Administrator - Retired

Anti-fog is a must have. I use rain-ex with the built in anti-fog. It works pretty good.
I wanted just the regular fog stuff, but couldn't find it anywhere. I used to have some military anti-fog that I bought at a surplus store a while back, but I can't find it. I used to use it in my paintball mask. Worked great! I think shadow was telling me about a visor that doesn't need coated. It's good to go on it's own. I can't remember the name (maybe I dreamed the whole thing).

Quick Reply: How cold is too cold for YOU to ride