The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Happy 4th July (belated)

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009 | 03:32 AM
|
Default Happy 4th July (belated)

I'd like to wish our American friends a Happy 4th July hope you've all recovered and had a excellent day

Old 07-05-2009 | 08:47 AM
Administrator - Retired

Thanks, mo!
I was gonna start a thread last night, but didn't....

I spent the 4th working on my old '90 Civic Si. I couldn't stand to let her sit behind my dads house any longer, so I borrowed a trailer and brought her home. I installed a new timing belt, cleaned some stuff up, and removed the exhaust manifold.
The fireworks came when I blasted her full of starting fluid and tried to start her with open headers....
Note to self: Keep fire extinguishers handy on the 4th of July...

Old 07-05-2009 | 09:17 AM
Administrator - Retired

Ha ha...
The funny part was watching me try to put the fire out...
I threw some rags on it and then slammed the hood.
I didn't have the valve cover bolted down, so the fumes must have gotten underneath it and blew it half off the head!
It tried to start, though... so I must have done something right...

Happy 4th, people!!

Old 07-05-2009 | 10:21 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........

Yeah a bit late from me as well , but hope all you guys had fun , certainly seem's like Sir trout did!!

Old 07-05-2009 | 07:21 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012

Oh my aching noggin ! Too much Bourbon

Old 07-05-2009 | 10:58 PM

Oh no Steve you don't understand, my Bro is over from the land of the professional
drinker..................it happened.... and will happen again very many times this week
until he goes back home to Momma the freeloadin' SOB.

My liver will be hangin' out of my *** pocket by the time this session gets done !

It's going to be early morning rides all this week......just to clear me head out.

Old 07-05-2009 | 11:06 PM
Talking

Sir Trout,

I'm a believer in music while you work, so in your case with the Civic...............

The Duelling Banjo's would be in order DA DA DANG DANG DANG > DA DA DANG DANG DANG

Then after a bit sirens from the Fire Department ..............................................LOL

Sprock

Last edited by Sprock; 07-05-2009 at 11:10 PM.
Old 07-06-2009 | 09:12 AM
Administrator - Retired

That would be fitting..

We were dueling all day yesterday, too.
I wasn't getting fuel pressure, pulled the backseat out to find that there was no power to the fuel pump. Jumped the battery onto the pump, and it fired right off. Traced power back to the main relay for the EFI under the dash. Ripped it out and resoldered the connections inside it. Put it back in, and get fuel! Wooohoo!
Still won't start....
I've got spark, so I do a compression check (concerned about bent valves from the timing belt tensioner going slack), but compression seems good on all cylinders. Sooo... I recheck TDC. Looks good as far as cam/crank position, so I pull the dist cap. Rotor isn't pointing at #1, but rather behind it... almost completely on cylinder #2?? Then I notice that the rotor is melted at the base and appears to have twisted on the shaft!!?? WTF?
So I'll get a new rotor and try it today. I had to take the old one out in pieces it was so bad. Concerns me a bit, and I'm wondering now if that wasn't the reason it quit to begin with (3.5yrs ago!). I thought it was the timing belt because there was so much slack in it from the bad tensioner. Got me thinking now...
If I get the old girl running, it's going to body/paint..
My fiancee says we look like white trash with it parked in the yard. She doesn't understand. It's a 1990 Si for godsake... can't just send it to the junkpile! It's a classic! I tried to convince her by showing her the hot VTEC implant motor, but she just shook her head....
Then the neighbor came by and said "You're not gonna drive this on the road are you?"
.... that didn't help.

Last edited by kilgoretrout; 07-06-2009 at 10:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Happy 4th July (belated)