The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Got the Urge to buy tools

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 10:40 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Got the Urge to buy tools

I have been buying some tools and parts for the 'Cane; here and there on Flebay. Now I don't know why, but I have this craving to buy a Lift. I don't know why. I really don't need one. I just have this URGE to get one. Does anyone else get these. Maybe its just a midlife kinda thing....

Old 07-01-2012, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Well Indy, I'm mid-lifeish and I can assure you the urge only gets stronger.

When I was young I could rebuild a two-smoke trailly with a butter knife, a shifter, brute force and ignorance.

Now, I still love building the damn things (big 4 banger speed bicycles now), but I like doing it in comfort - with perhaps just a touch of finesse.

I have the bike lifter, and a chair next to it that I can sit at 'exactly' the right height for that little fiddly job. And I have the tricky little tool that will perform that task in a simple and easy manner. I have a huge cabinet of tools that has the exact thing I need in it - If not I buy it, because I may need it again someday.

I usually get my partner to hold my VISA card when I go into a hardware or tool store. Much safer (and less expensive) that way! Then buy it online - when she isn't looking - anyway.

Hope that helps

Cheers, SB

Old 07-02-2012, 12:49 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Then buy it online - when she isn't looking - anyway.

Sounds like quite a few of us - hide your card statement too

This being Africa, I don't have a lift - JUST A LOW STOOL USED FOR MILKING THE GIRAFFE but over the years I've inherited/bought all the tools I need for most bikes or fabricated them after reading a "how to" here on the forum..........

IT'S MORE FUN TO DO IT YOURSELF !

Old 07-02-2012, 02:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadow
JUST A LOW STOOL USED FOR MILKING THE GIRAFFE
Ahhh! You crack me up Shadow. I do believe that could be an oxymoronic statement.

Love to chat sometime about the whole africa thing. Once spent 5 weeks in Sth Africa and Botswana. Loved it!

Ok, time to resume topic.............nothing to see here.............carry on

Love tools, mmmmmmmm do I love good tools

Cheers, SB

Old 07-02-2012, 02:28 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ah you noticed, SB..............
Happy to talk anytime Send PM.

I've just bought a couple of ratchet ring spanners - a lot less cursing in tight spaces.
With hands that need XXXL gloves I need all the help I can muster
Bloody Japanese engine designers all have 8 year old girl's hands

Old 07-02-2012, 03:55 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yup, been there, done that, going back tomorrow... Got all those torque wrenches, odd size (65mm or so) sockets and the works cause I've needed them once, bought a cheap a$$ knock off copy, hit the floor with full force and open all my knuckles before buying the expensive one I should have bought in the first place thus saving the price of the crap one, I've done them all... You never know when you need that tool the next time, and trust me, it's a mighty feeling when you have it then... I have pondered about buying a lift too, but bought a chain winch instead, only to realise it's as useful as t#ts on an nun to hoist your bike from the roof and have it swinging all over the place when you're trying to do something to it... I recently got interested in guitar building, realising I don't have any other wood working tools than a knife I got for cristmas one year, and have since got glue presses, three different planes, a bench drill, a router, a selection of exotic wood planks, table saw, an industrial vacuum, two different sanders, and am still getting a bench planer, a longbelt sander and a compressor with a paint gun set, my wife laughed at me that money would have gotten me a hand made custom guitar from any shop... But it's not the finished product, it's the making. A good carpenter would propably do the same with a two dollar carpet knife and a piece of sandpaper, but I need all of them. Well, want anyway...

Old 07-02-2012, 05:34 AM

Hey Indy, I did buy the lift and I ain't lookin back. $300 bucks at HF and $40 for the better wheel clamp. Not hugh money but so much easier on the lower spine.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:25 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have many urges Indy but the law says I cant act on them......

With the tool thing I have a lift and would never go back. Get one mate you'll love it. As far as the urge to by tools goes I have had the urge to get a radiator pressure tester kit and a hydraulic press for wheel bearings, replacing bushes etc. I don't really need the pressure tester but I'd just like to have one to say that I have one....lol.

I think I'll get the press first and then the pressure tester. I dont seem to be able to find one that suits bikes though. Any ideas ???

Old 07-02-2012, 06:39 AM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY

Originally Posted by cb2cbr
Hey Indy, I did buy the lift and I ain't lookin back. $300 bucks at HF and $40 for the better wheel clamp. Not hugh money but so much easier on the lower spine.
$300 makes it hard to say no. Looks like I need to make a special trip to HF.

I do like working on my own bike, makes it special to me.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:07 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bordo
As far as the urge to by tools goes I have had the urge to get a radiator pressure tester kit and a hydraulic press for wheel bearings, replacing bushes etc. I don't really need the pressure tester but I'd just like to have one to say that I have one....lol.

I think I'll get the press first and then the pressure tester. I dont seem to be able to find one that suits bikes though. Any ideas ???

Go on mate, just bite the bullet and build your own one. And then we can borrow it if we need to.

Make an Auto Radiator Pressure Tester

Quick Reply: Got the Urge to buy tools