The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Frustrated Beyond Belief

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014 | 01:55 PM
|

Hawk,

I intend to wait until I get home before I buy anything. I just wish I had someone who could look at it whilst I am away and give me an idea.

I think it's just sods law that it happened the night before I came to work.

Oh and David you are more than welcome to come around and "help" whenever you want. Maybe we will be able to get out for a blast together this time.

Will you be coming to mine to fit your new rear shock? You know the garage is open whenever you need it mate.

Last edited by Chippy211; 04-17-2014 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-17-2014 | 03:39 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........

Sorry Chippy, Mansfield is a bit far for me, otherwise I'd be happy to look her over for you.

Old 04-17-2014 | 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Chippy211
Hawk,

I intend to wait until I get home before I buy anything. I just wish I had someone who could look at it whilst I am away and give me an idea.

I think it's just sods law that it happened the night before I came to work.

Oh and David you are more than welcome to come around and "help" whenever you want. Maybe we will be able to get out for a blast together this time.

Will you be coming to mine to fit your new rear shock? You know the garage is open whenever you need it mate.

Hi Chippy - yup. please shock attack at yours when Ive got it.
No use me looking for you mate; changing pads, changing fluid, changing levers and that's about my level without the Haynes - more than happy to baby sit/help anyone who does volunteer or ride it to somewhere for you for someone to have a poke if required.

Old 04-17-2014 | 10:21 PM

60% of your braking power is at the front. I seldom use the rear, unless there's a near panic situation or I'm touching down after being airborne and getting my bike airborne is going damned fast

Old dirt bike thing

Old 04-17-2014 | 11:29 PM
Welcome Crew

When I read the title I thought, hello we have another man who has been married over 10 years, good to see it is only a brake problem.

Old 04-17-2014 | 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by jarvid
When I read the title I thought, hello we have another man who has been married over 10 years, good to see it is only a brake problem.
word

Old 04-17-2014 | 11:49 PM
|

Hawk,

Brighton is a fair old distance away so I understand you not being able to look. I do intend to get some really good miles on the bike this year so you might get a PM with dates when I come down in your direction.

Woof, I just trail the back brake into corners usually which is when I noticed the problem, otherwise I'm with you, mainly use the front brake.

Jarvid, Only been married nearly 5 years to this wife, mind you it is number 4...I must like wedding cake!!

Old 04-18-2014 | 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Chippy211
Hawk,

Brighton is a fair old distance away so I understand you not being able to look. I do intend to get some really good miles on the bike this year so you might get a PM with dates when I come down in your direction.
Would be good, maybe we could organize a Brighton Hurricane meet up

Old 04-21-2014 | 02:53 PM
hmm
Default Frustrated - me too

My F-L failed its MOT on rear brake - worn down to the metal - should've checked it obviously. So I rushed home, fitted new pads and returned to get her passed.
Then the rear brake started to play up, so much so that I couldn't even push the bike and riding was impossible too. So I stripped the caliper, fitted new pistons, seals and DOT4. The pistons went in easily and so did the pads with the pistons fully retracted, but now they still seem to bind a little bit. The pads were front ones but as I said they went in easy enough.
Any ideas?
I've also recently fitted new fork oil and seals, a new alternator damper (NOS!), water pump (from breaker), removed, drained and re-fitted the CCT, and new plugs. She now sounds better than she has for years!

Old 04-22-2014 | 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by hmm
My F-L failed its MOT on rear brake
Then the rear brake started to play up, so much so that I couldn't even push the bike and riding was impossible too. So I stripped the caliper, fitted new pistons, seals and DOT4. The pistons went in easily and so did the pads with the pistons fully retracted, but now they still seem to bind a little bit. The pads were front ones but as I said they went in easy enough.
Any ideas?
Did you check the caliper bolt pins? Parts Nos 13 & 14 in the fiche. The pins need to be smooth clean and lightly lubed, and have a look at the rubber boots they slide into. The whole caliper kind of 'pinches the disc', if they're not sliding properly, the caliper will 'pinch', but not release, causing the brakes to bind.

1991 Honda CBR1000F AC REAR BRAKE CALIPER | MRCycles

Quick Reply: Frustrated Beyond Belief