The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

The end of the summer night...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 03:38 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The end of the summer night...

...wasn`t excactly a pleasing one... Sorry for any tupos cause my hands are shaking writing this...

Let`s start from Thursday. As said in some threads before, we were celebrating midsummer eve here this weekend and got the Friday off from work so Missynet decided to delight us by coming here to celebrate it with us. I, having not been able to ride any longer trips this summer, wanted to go meet her some distance away so I rode to Jyväskylä around 150km from our house through some of the prettiest lake area roads I know. Having reached the destination, the ABC service station south of Jkl turned out she had got a bit lost so I had good time to enjoy a pint while waiting for the meandering mistress to reach the rendevouz point ;D After a little wait she managed to navigate to me -with a running issue, so we headed to our house and after a good night sleep to the garage in the morning to try and figure out what was causing the rough running and the pipe popping. We took out the carbs, cleaned them good, swapped the O-rings in the fuel couplings just to be sure as well as the spark plugs that probly would not have been needing a swap but since I had already bought a new set them being dirt cheap we did anyway. We synced the carbs and put the bike together, and I took off for a little test ride. I kept the revs pretty high so I didn`t notice the problem had in fact gotten worse from the service until the next day`s long ride when I tested it better, but did manage to overshot our intersection when I discovered the rear brake locks very easily.

The next morning came with rain after a beautiful sunny friday so we were forced to wait until 5pm to be able to depart for the trip I had planned around the backwoods around here cause there were some curvy roads and some VERY curvy roads coming so we wanted the road to be at least somewhat dry. The rain mostly subsided for the afternoon so we headed off to the trip.

I must compliment Missy for living in the flattest part of Finland where even proper curves are mail ordered a week before, and still being able to enhance her riding skills significantly in the past year after the Estonian trip for we have not met once in real life after until now as we live 300km apart. She was able to keep up close behind me through the twistiest, hilliest road I know, the Marjoniemi way which I have recorded and posted here about two years ago, without a problem. Even the sun was shining upon us and we were able to ride the whole road bone dry so I was able to let rip a bit to see if I can shake her but she was on my mirror like a bug splatter

After the curvy patch we jumped onto the motorway to get to the next parts of the trip, which even I had not ever ridden before but have been told to be great bike roads with sharp corners. Missy was riding ahead of me after a stop when we saw a large sign saying "dangerous curve ahead" so we dropped our speed to 60km/h and rode through what we thought to be the curve in the sign, hit a sharp crest only to discover there is an extremely tight right corner right after the jump turning downhill, I was just over the apex of the crest so I had a front row seat to the evets coming, I saw Missy break hard into the corner over the hilltop, locking the rear wheel, fishtailing, losing balance, pulling the corner wide and taking a flying tumble into the ditch! I was totally panicking trying to park my bike as fast as humanly possible and running to her aid, seeing the somersault the bike had just done with Missy flying like a rag doll, at this point unsure is she even alive!

Don`t worry, she`s relatively intact with no broken bones (hopefully) just a sore knee and numerous bruised muscles. It`s a miracle nothing worse happened as there were ingredients for a whole pot of s**tsoup in there!

After both of our pulse had gone back down to triple digits and Missy getting her feet back under her we pushed the remains of her bike back to the black top from the ditch and into a small side road to assess the situation and make some phone calls. We took any sharp shards off from the bike and found both the bike and the rider being somewhat able to ride straight back to our house for the night. She would actually been crazy enough to ride the bike back home but I was having none of that and insisted to transport the broken pair back home so today was pretty much spent sitting in my Volvo making the 664km round trip my father-in-law as my navigator and his trailer behind us delivering the limping lady and the busted bike back home.

I`ll tell you, watching videos from youtube about racing riders go flying in the track can even be somewhat fun, but having to witness the same thing happening right in front of your eyes to a person that is very dear to you is a sight I would not wish upon my worst enemy!

What remains of a Hurricane after a flip in mid air. Every single body panel trashed, upper fairing stay bent, front light cracked etc. etc... It`s basically up to the insurance company if they total it but if so, this indeed was the end of The Summer Night.

From this morning getting ready to brave the return traffic jams of the midsummer eve. We stuck to the small rural roads and were able to dodge all the bad blocks.

To walk off some of the worst shakes I decided to go photo the curve as Missy was talking on the phone.

It doesn`t show well in the pics but the turn curves downhill pretty hard so the bike is tippy-toeing over the crest while braking.

Now I don`t believe in god, but I`m fairly certain there was a guardian angel hovering over the turn, cause had there been an oncoming car or Missy had run out ONE meter before hitting that rock, the results might have well been fatal!

(in case you`re wondering why I wrote this, Missy`s having some techical difficulties with her new phone not being compatible with the site and computer malfunctioning)

Last edited by Mattson; 06-22-2014 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 311 Likes on 255 Posts

Wowser! Very sorry to hear about the spill. But very happy to read that nothing tragic happened.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:08 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sad to hear about this accident. Wow she is so lucky to miss that rock. Glad she was able to walk away and that you where there to help her.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:06 PM
Welcome Crew
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh man what a shame!! I hope you get better Missy, I'm sure sorry to see your beautiful bike messed up but I'm glad it appears to have taken most of the damage

Mend up and I hope you're riding soon

Old 06-23-2014, 03:55 AM
Welcome Crew

sorry to hear about your spill missynet and for you Mattson having to witness it, but im glad your ok missynet

Old 06-23-2014, 04:34 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015

A memory I do not cherish I'll tell you that... Waiting for her to chime in about what the doctor say about the knee and the insurance rep to call me for an eye witness statement.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:37 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Sad news indeed but could have been worse. Missing that big rock is the only good news. Things could have turn real ugly if that rock was a little more to the right.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:32 AM

Helouu,

Thanks for your compassion People!

I am very sad too. She is in a ****ty condition.

Went to docs today, and had clarified that I am fine.
No bones broke or anything. Just have a week off since my muscles feel like I have been under train or sth.

I am gonna get her to be evaluated for the insurance tomorrow.
Will see how it goes.

Thank you Matson for a nice write up!

And as I have said I am glad my first biggy was with you! Since Rather with a person whom I trust completly than with strangers or alone.

Next time will be smarter
Luckily I remember everything with a fraction of a second to process what went wrong in my desisions etc. And now have time to do that

It was a close one, but it was what it was. And I promise I will come back hopefully this yr to take that ride again Since it still is unfinished

Old 06-23-2014, 12:49 PM

Gonna hold on to that last promise Get yourself well, it is now imperative to rest that leg so it will heal completely or it can leave a permanent injury! As we spoke, my vacation is the last week of july & first week of august, maybe then? We`ll see what the lads say in the shop about the bike, it`s not impossible to fix but the fear is it will nest in the shop for ages as they scource the part as nothing is made new anymore... Either get it fixed and sell it for something a bit more modern or if they say it`s not worth it and total it hope you`re getting a proper compensation for it...

Old 06-23-2014, 03:16 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So glad you guys are relatively OK.

Could have been very nasty, even this crash when alone would have been bad, considering how isolated the location is.

Like Matt said, rest up Missey so you make a full recovery and keep us updated.

Quick Reply: The end of the summer night...