The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Dec 11 ROTM votes needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 06:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hahaha, I forgot that was there, well done TK. Sorry for the late reply, my internet at home has died a horrid death (ISP issue and no fix date from em yet either!!) so only have access while at work at the mo, bad timing with ROTM.

Come on all We still need your valuable votes, only a couple of days left and we are lagging behind. get your votes in and put an old hurricane on top to finish the year.

Cheers All.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:19 PM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Hey Andy (yes before you ask, I have already voted for you), I just picked in another of your threads that your old girl is speed limited.

Just out of interest had did they do that in pre-computer and mapped fuel injection system days?

Cheers
Tony

Old 12-27-2011, 10:38 PM

Hey TK,

There is a pick up under the speedo needle, it's a small disk with two indents attached to the speedo shaft with an electronic pick up located some way round. As the disk rotates with the shaft the first indent goes past the pick up, all good, allows the bike to rev over 5k. As second indent goes past the pick up it cuts supply to two cylinders via control of the ignitor.

From experience you hit this limiter when you least expect it as the bike is still storming forward with pace, like hitting a brick wall and ya nearly chite ya pants, ya back off and the bike lunges forward with considerable momentem again, once again another does of brown race stripes in y fronts ensues

If ya try to remove the cut out it has to be done by cutting out the second indent only. If ya remove the pick the bike will not rev past 5k, tricky eh

Of course this was all done under controlled circumstances eh

Cheers

Last edited by Ruaphu; 12-27-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:05 AM

That's actually quite clever for the day, but the most important thing is you've worked out how to bypass it.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:14 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Japanese version of the CB750C 1981 has a red light that comes on at 80 KPH - also speedo driven somehow. I nearly wet my pants - thought it was the oil light the first time I rode it.
Apparently the speed limit in Japan is 80 KPH ? - the bike isn't limited, but the red light is annoying...............

And yes Andy I've done the voting thing too

Old 12-28-2011, 03:55 AM

When I owned a servo back in the 90's we had this guy bring in an imported RX7 batmobile that had a very annoying alarm that would come on to tell you if you were going 80 km/h.

The workshop guys eventually traced the wiring for that alarm and killed it; only to discover that there is now another alarm that comes on constantly to tell you that the 80k alarm has been disabled.

Sigh.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:39 PM

Yep mine has the mighty red light at 80Kmh, I'm yet to recalibrate it so it only comes on at 110kmh as a good visual reminder I'm now in the 'red zone' for a ticket hehe.

Re the speed limiter, nah not done on my bike, one word ...........Insurance. They classify it as a bla bla (can't remember the exact term they quoted) modification that MAY allow them to rebuke or refuse cover/claim should I place a claim at any point.

In saying that I have played with the spares bike speedo just to see what is what using info from the Hurricanes alive site.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My vote's in...Only 1 behind now!

Old 12-28-2011, 07:01 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

time to phone a friend Dave

Old 12-28-2011, 09:57 PM

You Beaut Dave, Cheers for that.

Common Peops, nearly there, only one vot in it, so we only need ten more lol

Cheers All