The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Darwin Award Nominee??

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 04:40 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bordo
13 in some circumstances ?????? Thats insane !!!!! lol. Its 16 here for your learner licence and 16 and 9 months for a rider learner licence. Although around where I work they dont keep them long......
I'd guess you have some of the same conditions we have here in Montana. Some large areas with little population, long distances to any type of civilization. I would guess the 13 year old limit is for a student that has to go several miles to reach an area where he/she can catch a bus to school and it's a hardship for Mom or Dad to drive them back and forth each day. In that instance driving would be restricted to the county road ([probably gravel or dirt) that leads to pavement. It would seem to be a very rare occurrence, I've never met or heard of a thirteen year old with a driver's license.

Although, I've know several who drove at that age without state (or parental) permission.

And it's common for farm kids to drive farm equipment and trucks around the farm younger than that. When I was twelve or so and spending a few weeks on my uncle's farm he was quite incensed that my dad hadn't taught me to drive yet. He gave a quick lesson on driving a Jeep (here's the gas, this is the brake, that's the clutch, steer with this) and sent a few miles down the road to pick rock in one of his fields.

Last edited by DRam; 09-03-2012 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Some day I'll learn to spell check.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:46 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

In New York State its 16 for driver. When I was 14 my dad asked me to wash his CB450. When I was done I though I heard him say, "Take her out for a ride and she what she'll do." I heard wrong. What he said was," Take it down the driveway and back if you think you can handle it." He jumped in the family car when he saw me heading down the road at warp-9. He never saw me again until I got home 1/2 hour later. I got my back end jacked a few inches that day.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:23 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TimBucTwo
In New York State its 16 for driver. When I was 14 my dad asked me to wash his CB450. When I was done I though I heard him say, "Take her out for a ride and she what she'll do." I heard wrong. What he said was," Take it down the driveway and back if you think you can handle it." He jumped in the family car when he saw me heading down the road at warp-9. He never saw me again until I got home 1/2 hour later. I got my back end jacked a few inches that day.
Reminds me of of when I was 13. My brother had an old Triumph Bonneville, He always said, If you can start it, you can ride it. I kicked that thing until I thought mt leg would fall off. You should have seen the look on his face when I figured it out.

Full choke, two half kicks, Tickle the carb. Two full kicks with half gas. Half choke, two half kicks. Then kick away. It'll catch then die.

Rinse and repeat until she fires up

Then ride!

Old 09-06-2012, 11:23 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wooferdog
Reminds me of of when I was 13. My brother had an old Triumph Bonneville, He always said, If you can start it, you can ride it. I kicked that thing until I thought mt leg would fall off. You should have seen the look on his face when I figured it out.

Full choke, two half kicks, Tickle the carb. Two full kicks with half gas. Half choke, two half kicks. Then kick away. It'll catch then die.

Rinse and repeat until she fires up

Then ride!
LOL, Quite the recipe these days people would be returning that thing in droves!

I woulda paid to see his face.