The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Cicada Killer up my sleeve

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 02:25 AM
Party Animal, ROTM June 2014
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HOLY ****! That makes me feel like a total wuss when I took a few shots to the chest after a hornet hit me in the throat and fell down into my jacket.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:57 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eek!!! i've never seen a bug that big!!! If those things would make demon move, I'd get a flamethrower and scorch everything behind me so they won't follow! My friend once had a small bee that went zzzup inside his helmet along the gap between the cheek foam and the other pad and stung him inside his ear. Looked pretty horrid at school like he had half of a red tennis ball where his right ear should be...

Old 08-21-2012, 05:24 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

F..&*%#@$.. ING OUCH !!

Pull your glovies OVER your sleavies
Had a hornet hit my helmet and go inside my jacket - had welts on my chest for a couple of weeks but NOTHING like a cicada beatle - who knew ? - we get them here and they make a helluva noise - I'll be a lot more careful around them in future......WHERE THERE ARE CICADAS THERE ARE BOUND TO BE CICADA WASPS, RIGHT ?

Get well soon.

And it's a bug only a mother could love (or maybe Sebastion Bear) HEHE
I'D NUKE THE BUGGERS FOR SURE.
SORRY CRAIG BUT THERE'S ONLY SO MUCH LOVE....

Old 08-21-2012, 05:45 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too be fair, I've been pretty impressed by the replies from the Koala Kuddlers so far.

I would have expected them to be posting pictures of horror insects from Volume II of

"Nasty Stuff That Will Definitely Kill You if You Ever Go Outside in Australia"

Old 08-21-2012, 05:57 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We wrote that book
Look up Black Mamba, Green Mamba, Black widow spider, Puff adder and Cape Cobra for starters. EEEEEEEEEEEEEK
I think I'll ride my bike indoors HEHEHEHE

I'm glad we don't have box jellyfish tho'

Old 08-21-2012, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi TK
Too be fair, I've been pretty impressed by the replies from the Koala Kuddlers so far.

I would have expected them to be posting pictures of horror insects from Volume II of

"Nasty Stuff That Will Definitely Kill You if You Ever Go Outside in Australia"

Now don't get me started TK,

You just know I have a million of 'em

And that's not including the drop bears!!!

Drop Bear Attack Caught on Film - New Zealander Mauled - YouTube

Cheers, SB

Old 08-21-2012, 11:48 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I can see two of my knuckles today but my arm is swollen tight.

Originally Posted by Shadow
WHERE THERE ARE CICADAS THERE ARE BOUND TO BE CICADA WASPS, RIGHT ?
That's my thoughts.

I can hear a cicada up in a tree as I am typing this. The Killers dig under apron in front of my garage causing it to brake up when I park the car. For each hole the dig, they pull out about two shovel fulls of dirt. They seam to be somewhat smart. One was hiding in my garage over night and when I lifted the door it back up and tried to hide under a brake rotor. I tried to get it with a broom and heard buzzing. When I lifted the broom, it flew up, went out and turned and came back up to my face and took a good look at me and then flew off. That was creepy.

Originally Posted by wooferdog
We don't don't have anything that big here unless you count slugs and they're harmless
Well, the Hobo spider is up in your neck of the wood.

I went out yesterday and almost dropped the bike when I got up on the apron. I put my right foot down when I was trying to get the side stand down. My right foot slipped on sand that a stupid Cicada Killer pulled out. It was like putting my foot on ice.

The photo I got off the internet. That hole must be only 1/2 way done because the dirt piles I have are twice that size and my neighbor has bigger ones than me. They have to be to get the killer that has a cicada under it while dragging it in the hole.

Attached Thumbnails Cicada Killer up my sleeve-ck_burrowing.jpg  

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 08-21-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:20 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seriously dude, to me those things look like something out of the book of revelation. I could only imagine how one of those would feel like when it goes SPLAT all over Ur visor, let alone a thin jacket... Those are like the size of a small bird! One thing why I'm suddenly totally pleased that we got a hellish cold winter here making sure nothing like that could ever survive... Freaks me out just looking at the pics...

Old 08-21-2012, 04:54 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If you have ever seen a cicada you would know the size of the killer.

I'm happy that they are not aggressive and are solitary insects. Those Japanese hornets are about the same size and do kill people.

Attached Thumbnails Cicada Killer up my sleeve-cicada-killer-cicada.jpg  
Old 08-21-2012, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I just love the enthusiasm of passionate people - whether bugs (insects) or fungi or CBR1000Fs or whatever their specialty!

I have taught with a few people who are just effervescent when explaining their particular passion to undergraduates!

Cheers, SB

Quick Reply: Cicada Killer up my sleeve