The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Casey Stoner really is mental!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 09:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Casey Stoner really is mental!

Watched the GP here yesterday (on tv unfortunately ) and, as usual, pointed at the screen and said a few expletives several times. 326kph is serious ****! I can't imagine a corner coming up that quick, and having to go around it right on the limit so the equally mad ba5tard (Rossi) behind you doesn't get by, is insane. Stoner went around a long left hander, leaving a thick black strip of rubber all the way around. Apparently that was at around 250kph! I don't care what electronic gadgets these guys have on their bikes...they're frikin crazy.. I really must ride down there one year on some sort of pilgrimage. Surely it'd only take a couple of days .

Old 10-18-2009, 09:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They're not mad but I'm sure it would help. My Niece goes there every year with a group of riders & the last couple time she has been in with the marshals track side.
Unfortunately the only bit I saw was the last 7 minutes of qualifying when Stoner took pole. Joys of work. I think we need to organize a pilgrimage there one year. We could all crash out @ Classics place. What do you think???

Old 10-18-2009, 10:15 PM

It'd be great. 'Course..only if he offered . Bloody long ride for me (couple of thousand kms easy) but it'd be good fun..I just don't know if I'd still have a licence by the time I got back. I have some real issues with my throttle hand that just aren't getting any better with age .

How many of us are there in Oz within strike range? Just so Steve would know how big a fridge we'd need.. I could probably swing the time off work and the missus would probably be cool with it too...hmmmm..

Old 10-18-2009, 11:06 PM

I was watching the live timing online last night while they were racing. I like it whenever they back it in, it's a crazy feeling the back end sliding in whenever you're getting ready to turn the opposite direction.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:06 PM

I wouldn't expect Steve & Kerry to put up with us. Mind you I could throw a swag down in his back yard. lol. Plenty places to stay down there though but you have to book early & be prepared to pay. It always sneaks up on me so I miss out. Only 9 or 10 hours away for me by road & cops everywhere. Funny about that throttle hand. It tends to get a bit weak & drop a bit when you get older. Unfortunately I find the balance & reflexes don't quite keep up.
Growing up in the 70's & 80's the catch phrase was "I feel the need for speed". It still lingers. Thats why we want to go see the big boys. I used to love sliding around corners when I was younger. Only came off a couple of times.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:29 PM

Imagine how many cops between S.E. Queensland and the Island . I wouldn't expect to stay at anybody's place either. I probably wouldn't want somebody I don't know rocking up to my place and drinking way too much , especially while my kids are still young. Camping at the sight would be the go.

I first hit the road full time in '82. I literally hit the road soon after ! All I wanted to do was go faster and faster. Rode for around 12 months once and the only other vehicle to overtake me was my mate on his bike if he caught me unaware. I've settled down now due to the family and a mortgage, but still get carried away too often. How would I ride 2000km and keep my **** together?? Maybe hypnotherapy or something ?

I ran it by the wife and she said "yeah, sounds cool..do it". Understanding woman .

Here's how I see it going..

Old 10-20-2009, 08:52 PM

I used to go to the bike rallies years ago when they were popular. Man what a blast!
My biggest issues would be...
Will my backside survive the ride.
Can I get time off from work.
Oh my poor backside.
Can I get my bike ready to go. (bent frame & noisy gearbox)
Will the missus allow me to go. ( I think she will)
Will I have available funds.
Where to find padded undies.

Any ides when Phillip Island is on next? Should really organize a ride there.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:25 PM

You've only got 9 or 10 hours mate. Eight or nine cold beverages ought to fix you. I'd be looking at two full days like that or three more sensible ones. I think my **** would be ok as I've got a fitted sheepskin cover which is bloody fantastic. I'd have to work up to a ride like that though and get some luggage sorted.
No prob with work or the missus, finances could be though. Anybody who's been before know what the damage is for camping and good tickets for the track?
On the ride to work this morning (I was heading South) I saw a few bikes that I think were heading back from the race. Same kind of thing last year too so I wouldn't be the only one mad enough to ride 2000km .
Let's keep it in mind for the future and see how we're situated nearer next year. It'd be a good laugh if we could get a few of us down there...after all the Americans are organising a meeting event (hi fellas). I think we've got a couple of others up this way somewhere and two or three in and around Melbourne.

What sort of kms do you guys think is reasonable for a good day, to still be feeling human the next day. I've only ever had to ride a few hours on trips when I was a young bloke in England since it's not a real big place compared to here..this place is f'n huge.

I'd seriously consider the trip down one year. I know a couple of other riders from here who might be up for it too. Could be a massive p!ss up

Old 10-21-2009, 07:20 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........

Watched the race last night on line , great race and Stoner certainly likes to drift it around those corners.

Real shame Lorenzo crashed out in the first corner , could have been a real interesting race , Lorenzo fighting with Rossi and Stoner throwing a spanner in the works for both of them

Still there's the Malaysian GP next , though Rossi has such a big lead over Lorenzo now it's almost academic

Still if Stoner can stay fit , next season should be a blast

Old 10-21-2009, 05:46 PM

Yeah that first corner crash..they were already doing 200kph+!! Rossi's certainly a class act. He's been right at the top for so long now and still doesn't seem like a tosser. Looking forward to the next race . Hopefully Lorenzo will be in the battle this time.

Quick Reply: Casey Stoner really is mental!