The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Broadband..f'n great dish on the roof or usb plug in job??

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 07:16 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

C'MON Steve-o...............
You know you were on the roof fitting another dunny (chithouse) for some wealthy bloke and his gorgeous wife walked past, you watched her, not the ladder, and.........................
Hope it gets better soon, old son !
Damn I know how sore that can be...................

Old 01-19-2010, 10:03 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Naaah, I don't believe it was another rooftop dunny accident.
He prolly got beat up by the old lady and doesn't wanna admit it.

It sucks either way, though.... Sorry to hear it, steve.

As far as the internet, I'd like to try the mobile broadband route. My DSL sucks here. I had a 3gig plan, but it was always so slow I just went back to 1.5gig. I had that for about a year, then forgot why I wasn't paying for 3gigs and went back to that last week. Now I remember why I wasn't paying for it...lol..
The speed is soooo erratic. I have 2 comps and in the evenings I see some super slow chit on both machines. Then all of a sudden it will be good for a min. I wish I knew a little more about it... or how to make it better.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:14 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Cable such as Roadrunner, may be fast or slow depending on how many people are hitting it at one time. It is the same cable and they are eating up bandwidth. If everyone is downloading on the weekends it will crawl.

DSL is a dedicated line and runs at the same rate. DSL attenuates the further you are from the main hub (phone trunk). They tell you that you can get up xx-kbsp for one price or xx-mbsp for another price. The key is the words "up to". I have the cheaper 768kbps and that's what I get as I am close to the the junction box. If I lived far from the junction box I would opt for maybe the 3mbps rate at a higher price and get perhaps 1.5mbps in real terms. If I have to download larger files I start it and get a beer.

My two daughters and my son are on when I am on and there is little difference in speed. DSL is fine if you are cruising the internet and e-mailing things. When you are downloading large files, there is nothing like bandwidth. Bandwidth is like a pipe size, the bigger the pipe the more you can put more in it. For loading web pages you don't need a big pipe. You can have massive bandwidth and bottle neck at your RAM or chip-set, tossing money out the window on bandwidth.

I don't know much about the dish internet but I know it is pricey. A wast, with respects to DSL, if you are not downloading large files.

Hope this helps some.

Speed Check

Old 01-19-2010, 03:27 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadow
I use around 2 Gb a month, but then I do a lot more Forum work as a Mod................
I have a limit of 3Gb and sometimes even that isn't enough.............
I use Verizon here and pay $17.99 USD monthly for life unlimited at 768kbps. That's as fast as I need to go. I have heard of storage limits but not usage limits.

Twice a week Verizon mails me a flyer and call once a month to try to get me on their Fios plan for $140.00/mo. What the hell do I need 50d/20u Mbps for??????

Old 01-21-2010, 06:53 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't plan on great Skype with a Sat Com isp.....too much latency (data round trip)

3G would be a good way to go and there's a few products out there to
boost 3G reception if it's weak

Careful exercising that clutch hand there Steve ! .......it's imperative to have
a backup at all times for a cold beverage..........redundancy ......very importent !