The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Broadband..f'n great dish on the roof or usb plug in job??

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 10:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Broadband..f'n great dish on the roof or usb plug in job??

Hey fellas, we're getting a new computer in a couple of weeks and will need broadband (at last!). There's no cable out our way so it's either the dish on the roof or one of the plug in numbers that are available with a bewildering array of plans attached to them. A lady a few kms away uses one of the plug ins and has no problems with it. There's several available from Telstra, Optus, Virgin and others.

This is probably a question for the others in Oz, but all opinions are welcome. What do you guys use and what do you know about this..pros (not that kind ), cons etc.?

See you later.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

satellite sux n they charge likes its the bees knees!!

Old 01-18-2010, 12:23 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We all use ADSL here (broadband) - they tried satellite, but it was wickedly expensive, so we're stuck with ground stations...............and 3G of course, if you're in range.
Just make sure you encode your radio link or others can steal your bandwidth - someone did it to me........................bastiks !

Old 01-18-2010, 06:29 PM

[QUOTE=CBRclassic;874826]Hey Dave ..., but mate , cant you just go mobile 3G in your area .... ?? or is that what you are already using ?

Yes Steve, they're what I'm talking about. At the moment we're still using dial up (or rather, not using it!) so that's why I seldom log on from home...it's like pulling teeth waiting for a page to come up.

Thanks for the other info too, it does look pretty good. I think we'll try one of the 3G thingos first though as the portability might also be cool. There's a pretty cheap 1 gig per month one we might try. The bloke at Harvey Norman seems pretty switched on as to which ones work best in our area. Apparently some are not so reliable and drop out quite often.

For the average home user like me, who doesn't really spend much time on the net, and the kids to do homework etc. (absolutely no chatrooms or any of that 'til they're older!) do you rekon 1 gig will be enough? I know it's hard to say, but just after your opinion .

Ah well..that's morning tea over with, better go and do a bit more.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:18 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use around 2 Gb a month, but then I do a lot more Forum work as a Mod................
I have a limit of 3Gb and sometimes even that isn't enough.............

Old 01-18-2010, 11:34 PM

Thanks Pete. I think I'll try the 1 gig and see how it goes for a while. I only come on here for a while, Google a bit of stuff and check weather and email really. I'm far from an internet junkie. I had to block one of the wife's relies who kept jamming up our inbox with swathes of photos. Kath asked her several times to knock it off, but in the end I found a better way .

Anyway, it'll be a couple of weeks 'til we get the new machine.

Thanks for the advise / opinions guys. It really is handy to be able to ask about any subject here due to our diverse membership.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:31 AM

I'll take your advise on board, thanks Steve.

I hope your wrist isn't too bad mate. Of course, you'd already be aware that the best treatment for that sort of thing is ice on the injury and ice cold beer, and a sh!tload of it to treat any possible internal damage...as long as you don't go **** up again .

Take it easy! I'm off home for a cold one myself now..

Quick Reply: Broadband..f'n great dish on the roof or usb plug in job??