The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Black Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 12:14 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Black Helmet

Why is it , every time I go out on the bike , I get five minutes down the road and SPLAT! A big fat fly has hit my visor right between the eyes , I get home and have to scrape the b4stards off with a spoon!

I was thinking , maybe the fly sees me coming , but with its stupid bug eyes it thinks my black helmet is an escape route so heads for it

The other day I hit a bumble bee while doing 90mph (not really officer) , I saw it last minute and ducked so it hit the top of my helmet , it was so loud I thought I'd been shot If I hit anything bigger like some of you guy's have , I'd need to wear Huggies instead of leathers

Does everyone get this to the same degree , even with lighter coloured helmets?

Old 05-06-2009, 01:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm afraid to say I think most of the small flying beasts must be colour blind cos I have a silver/blue Nolan and still get hit.
I had a close one a couple of weeks past, doing just over 50mph on a ring road in Dundee, I approached a few wood pigeons on one side of the carriageway, so I moves over to other side just to watch them lift off in all directions. Now you know how it is with bees n larger stuff that hit your helmet everything goes that sorta matrix bullet time camera thing, usually giving you enough time to make a evasive neck movement. Well I chose a full tilt to the right which was enough to feel it glance over my left shoulder. Yes, deffo a 'brown moment' but much better than a full on pigeon to the head.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:54 PM
November 2009 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess the only good thing to come out of the Impact with hitting Flying beasts,is the split second before impact ,in slow motion uttering "No.o.o.o.o.o.o"....................Stallone style.

In Aussie,trust me there are flying beasts the size of Sparrows that snap your neck back on Impact.I ride most of the time with the visor up,not having a fancy for Thai food or anything,just the Qty of Insects dirty the visor within minutes anyway.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:47 PM

They are colour blind, my helmet is white and from leaving work to getting home (20miles) the visor and front of my helmet start to look like a "bug pizza"
Also some of them must shlt superglue when they impact, coz they are a nightmare to get off!!

Old 05-06-2009, 05:08 PM

God what would it be like with no helmet ? Go out for a leisurely ride and have a three course meal at the same time!

Maybe that's why the really dedicated Harley riders have beards , otherwise they'd be forever pickin' 'em out of their teeth

Old 05-06-2009, 08:48 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My helmet is all black, too, and is covered in bug splatter all the time.
I like the sound of the huge flying beetles when they hit.

Birds are fun, too. I caught one on the knee at about 90mph. That stung a little, and when I looked back it was rolling on the pavement....feathers flying... so it was worth it.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:34 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hawkwind
Why is it , every time I go out on the bike , I get five minutes down the road and SPLAT! A big fat fly has hit my visor right between the eyes , I get home and have to scrape the b4stards off with a spoon!

I was thinking , maybe the fly sees me coming , but with its stupid bug eyes it thinks my black helmet is an escape route so heads for it

The other day I hit a bumble bee while doing 90mph (not really officer) , I saw it last minute and ducked so it hit the top of my helmet , it was so loud I thought I'd been shot If I hit anything bigger like some of you guy's have , I'd need to wear Huggies instead of leathers

Does everyone get this to the same degree , even with lighter coloured helmets?
Nope - but you know what they say
"Can't fool them horseflies"

Old 05-07-2009, 06:46 AM

Yeah maybe I should wash!

Still its the best fun I ever had killin flies

Old 05-07-2009, 02:31 PM

I am allergic to mozi bites so I just like admiring the carnage of dead bugs on my helmet and the front of my bike, LMAO, PAYBACK SUCKERS!!!!

Old 05-07-2009, 06:59 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad I'm not allergic to bee stings and such, or I'd be dead by now. Last 2 summers I've gotten stung by bees when riding. Once on the thigh and once on the neck. That wakes you up pretty quick.
I just got nailed by a yellow jacket last week, too, in the hand. That was a weird one.... got me in the middle finger. Hurt for a couple minutes, but then the next morning it was all swollen and hard to move. It was cool, though, because I had a HUGE middle finger!! I was flipping everybody off all day long!