The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

is it a bird, is it a plane?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 08:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is it a bird, is it a plane?

No its super Chippy

As some of you may know I've had allsorts of suspension and centerstand ground clearance woes - new hagon in hand of to Chippys I pop, we have a close, close look and share and compare between bikes and my exhaust looks, and measures low, so off come the fairings.#

The exhaust bracket doesn't line up with bolt hole by a good 40mmm and the exhaust hangs about 30 mm lower than Chippys and the headers go into the block at an angle. The new cans have dents on the inside where the axle nuts have hit them- - !"!"!"! much swearing ensued.
So we reckon its the wrong exhaust but I don't have the dosh to buy new so with a jack, some galvanised strap and a bolt we ehhem re position the exhaust, fit the new shock, not knowing if it needed fitting but as I had bought it and its one less variable we change it.

Went out for a quick test ride with Chippy following (2 Hurricanes with booming cans - it did sound good) and all seems good and we seem a long way from anything touching down - Ill let you know if that stays the same with Mrs Tiggr on board later. If not I can bend the exhaust stop bracket and get maybe another 10mm but that's it.

So again
I use up Chippys morning (he did cancel other stuff and wifey doesn't get time off at the same time but she was off)
I use his expertise
I use his clips, his metal, his bolts
I use up his sunshine, its a nice day, I do love fettling though
I drink his coffee

Price for this a cheery smile and a no problem mate.
Awesome bloke, much appreciated..

Old 05-18-2014, 10:11 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems you have down pipes for an 87-88 as they had the collector box hanger in a different spot. Good Fix there

Old 05-18-2014, 12:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's always a pleasure to help a fellow biker especially when it's a nice bloke as well. Anytime your need my help David just shout.

I certainly think they're the wrong header pipes on David's bike but it looked better from the back and a lot more stable over the bumps. At least we have the remote for the shock in a position David can get to it so happy with that.

Always enjoy working on these bikes and still get confused with the difference in fairing fittings compared to the different models.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:56 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........

Originally Posted by Sprock
Seems you have down pipes for an 87-88 as they had the collector box hanger in a different spot. Good Fix there
+1 Sprock hits the nail on the head again

So Tigger, does this mean the shock you bought off e-bay was OK?

Maybe the exhaust shifted when you fitted the new cans.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:09 AM

The shock he bought from eBay needs a rebuild. The guy who owned the shock had it set up completely wrong and after the time it spent on the old bike and tiggrs it would be shot.

The exhausts didn't move when we fitted the end cans and if they did it wouldn't have been by the 3 inches the bracket is from the fixing bolt hole. Definitely wrong headers on his bike.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:47 AM

+1 what Chippy said.

So Ive a hagon that needs rebuilding if anyone wants to make an offer... its in good nick but the spring was compressed so much like Chippy I reckon a re build is in order.

Also she feels a lot firmer, more planted so new shock is far superior. A bit bouncy but shock is set for two up and I left it like that for the test run but she held good, I had more confidence and by the time I got home was warmed up and ready for a real try but hey theres this weekend coming up so with my new confidence in leaning over (ie not waiting for scraping) Ill have a see if theres more clearance two up and then solo her and try to see how brave I am in the trying to find the scrape limit.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:23 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If t'were me I'd just replace the spring - give Hagon a ring & razz them that you
have a defective spring (just suggest the quality is questionable ! )
or find a generic replacement spring to match online.

HyperPro Spring

Old 05-26-2014, 09:42 AM
Default We are done whoo hoo

Ive been out with Mrs H on the back and- - -
no scraping, plenty of leaning but no scraping - hoo ra, expensive time consuming and frustrating but she finally there, I even gave her a little polish when I returned - perfik

Old 05-26-2014, 10:47 AM

Glad it's sorted David. Now just need to get the exhaust headers done properly and you should be ok for the foreseeable future.

Old 05-26-2014, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Chippy211
Glad it's sorted David. Now just need to get the exhaust headers done properly and you should be ok for the foreseeable future.
Again thanks for the help.
Im not touching the headers at the moment, it all works theres nothing blowing and Im broke.
Maybe in the future Ill source the right headers or get MRP or Zorstec to sort out the ones that are on but at the moment its working, working good and its summer so its riding time.

Quick Reply: is it a bird, is it a plane?