The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Advise please! New tyre time!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 05:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advise please! New tyre time!

88 Hurricane ..... what's the best tyres to use please?

Sorry, must have been posted before .... But there may be some new stuff out there????

Mine are worn to the bone and need changing fast! ... Riding style is "enthusiastic" .... big miles in all weathers .... and in need of some good traction round the twisties!

Your suggestions would be welcome!

Can I go up a size on the rear or will that spoil the handling?????

Old 07-30-2010, 12:54 AM
Banned

Shakey,
I find Bridgestone BT 021 suits this bike. I do the same riding you do from your description. Everyone here will tell you something different. Its all just an opinion. I've had all brands on my BB as well as the F and have gone back to the BT021. They wear well and stick like ****e to a blanket. Cheers.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:30 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Michelin PR2 - I have Bridgestone O21's on ATM but they won't last as long as the Michy's
Very similar feel on the road, and good adhesion in all conditions for both brands.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shakey, how are you going mate? Michelin PR2s for me all the way! Lots of good tyres out there though. You get used to a certain tyre and, to you, that's the best one out there. I like the PR2s, some swear by the Bridgies and others. The thing is, you need to find a tyre that suits the way you ride and the conditions / roads that you ride on. Stay with a well known brand with some race experience (since the R&D filters down to the road tyres), consider whether you want mega grip in the dry, wet or both, if you're touring or scratching and if tyre life $$ is a factor. It is for me, that's why the PR2s cut the proverbial mustard.

Last edited by davethepom; 07-30-2010 at 03:12 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I vote for the Mich PR2's as well. Just installed my second set. I got about 13k miles on the first set. I had two sets of Avon's before and only got 8-9k on those. I would say grip and feel were same but the PR2 get it done in all weather and last longer. I would describe myself as a 7/10's rider.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:03 PM

Thanks for the replies all! I've been checking in the manual ... Standard tire size for my F-J is: FRONT: 110/80-17 & REAR: 140/80-17 ..... I've been looking at the Michelin site and they don't seem to list PR2's in those sizes! (Maybe you've got the later models with wider wheels?)

Can I fit the later wheels to my F-J model?

Can I go up a size or two to 120 front and 150 / 160 rear without any adverse affect?

I had the BT-021's on my GSX1400 and liked them, but I've been hearing loads of good stuff about the PR2's ... Cant seem to find them in the right sizes tho!

Thanks

(Davethepom: I'm good thanks mate ... Hope yer finding lots of time for riding that bike of yours! )

Last edited by shakey; 07-30-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:10 PM

I run 120/70/17 front and 160/60/17 rear with no problems at all. I run the Dunlop Q2's. Very nice tire. Bike is a 1988 Hurricane 1000 with stock wheels. Bike handles better than ever.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:09 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

General rule of thumb is that one upsize is ok. You can go up a couple, but it's not advised due to pinching, etc. Your bike has a 2.5" front and a 3.5" rear vs. the newer ones with 3.5" front and 5-5.5" rear.
The PR2 actually does come in a 110 front according to a few sites over here. It doesn't come in a 140 rear, but it can be gotten in a 150/70 rear, which is likely what I'd use.

Over here, you can get the 110/150 combo for about $250 shipped from sportbiketrackgear. They offer international shipping if you'd like to ask them for a quote. I don't know if it would be cost effective, though.
Here is a link to their michelin tires.

By the way, you spelled tires wrong.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:49 PM

Thanks mate! ..... Also ... I spell most things wrong! lol

Are the later wheels a "possible" to fit to the earlier models, or not, without major surgery?

I like the sound of a 120 front and 160 rear .... that would be my ideal setup, but if the handling is compromised, then it's not worth looking at!

mmmmmmmmmm ..... what to do? :S

Old 08-01-2010, 07:37 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are the later wheels a "possible" to fit to the earlier models, or not, without major surgery?
Certainly. Plenty of people have done it.
There are some issues with it, but far from impossible.

I have heard that the issues are as follows:
1. Older bikes have the speedo drive on the front wheel, so you'd have to get a front sprocket cover with speedo drive from a later model to fit to your older bike. (as well as a cable)
2. the wheel spacers are wrong. Will need to be changed.
3. The rear brake caliper bracket won't fit with the wider wheel. I've heard you can bend it a bit, but maybe use the newer style?? Not sure.
4. rear fender has to go away. won't fit. Not a big deal, though, because the newer ones don't have huggers anyway.

Contact dragoncbr (carl) and Indiana Hurricane (doug) for more info. They've both done it (along with some others)
They may be able to help a bit more than me.
Then you can fit any of the larger tires you like. (120 front with 170 or 180 rear)

Last edited by kilgoretrout; 08-01-2010 at 07:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Advise please! New tyre time!