The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Advice for our trip to NZ :D

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 11:06 PM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice Sprock, but I don't think that will be a problem, in fact so far the opposite seems to be the case, just a few minutes ago I heard vague mutterings about a duty free bottle Amarula that they have spirited into the country.

Anyway, right at the moment him and Joy are enjoying the recuperative benefits of a late afternoon snooze after a wee shakedown run on the bike.

(Arrived back home with another Aussie biker in tow!).

I'm about to fire up the BBQ and sacrifice another cute little kiwi lamb in the interests of fostering international relations.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Wooooooooooooooooooohoooooooooooooooooooooooo,

We are in NZ, so, we have to learn this:

The "Ka Mate" haka generally opens with a set of five preparatory instructions shouted by the leader, before the whole team joins in:
"Ka Mate" Leader: Ringa pakia!
Slap the hands against the thighs!
Uma tiraha!
Puff out the chest.
Turi whatia!
Bend the knees!
Hope whai ake!
Let the hip follow!
Waewae takahia kia kino!
Stomp the feet as hard as you can!

Leader: Ka mate, ka mate
I die, I die, Team: Ka ora' Ka ora'
I live, I live Leader: Ka mate, ka mate
I die, I die, Team: Ka ora Ka ora "
I live, I live, All: Tēnei te tangata pūhuruhuru
This is the hairy man
Nāna i tiki mai whakawhiti te rā
...Who caused the sun to shine again for me
A Upane! Ka Upane!
Up the ladder, Up the ladder
Upane Kaupane"
Up to the top
Whiti te rā,!
The sun shines!
Hī!
Rise!

Ok, not really but we are having and absolute ball with Kiwi TK, Mrs Kiwi TK and Kiwi TK's Daughter. It is one of the most beautiful places I have been, the countryside matches the hospitality - simply stunning.

We have toured, eaten out, eaten in, ridden bikes, drank wine, cider, cider, bourbon, cider, wine and onto a BBQ and the Amarula tonight

And all in 24 hours.

Took the '87 CBR1000F out for a blast this afternoon with Mrs SB on the back - rode along a lake a two, surrounded by peaks with snow remnants remaining and overtook a V-Strom DL1000 on the way out. Stopped at Makarora (No 2 long story, don't ask) for a coffee and the V-Strom rider stopped as well. The rider was Tony from Perth, Australia. We rode back to Wanaka together and introduced Tony to Kiwi TK TK's house has become a drop in centre for Aussie motorcycling waifs.

Have taken some pictures and will post when I get sober (or some time, whichever comes first)......................

Oh! and Mrs SB is having a ball too.

Haere rā, The Travelling Bears

Last edited by Sebastionbear1; 01-26-2013 at 12:27 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:21 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

vague mutterings about a duty free bottle of Amarula

OI !
Who'se been itchy fingering our local hooch ?
Wuzzit old melon head with his can of "doom" ?
Nothing's sacred, I swear !

Old 01-26-2013, 01:21 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Pics Dammit!

Hey! Did Tony receive the magazine, or is it following the same route as the postcard?

Old 01-26-2013, 07:17 PM

Hi all, it's now just after lunch on Sunday, and I have released the Bears to the wild to continue the Kiwi invasion.

Their steeds for the next few days as they explore the south of the South Island :

Name:  DSC02504-r.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  151.9 KB

My old girl, and a borrowed Yamaha SR (seriously rough?)250 for Joy to tottle along in Sebs slipstream.

Anyway they look happy enough to be setting off into the wilds on their own, and they certainly look a whole lot better than they deserve to after our introduction last night to Amarula.

Name:  DSC02509-r.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  89.0 KB

As for me, right now I'm off for a wee lie down.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:43 AM
Super Moderator

Oh My!

I tell you New Zuland horsepitality is going to be the death of me.

With the kindness, friendship and alcohol supplied my liver is going to have to be wrung out on our return.

After leaving TKs place after a fantastic couple of days with TK and Mrs TK we rode across the South Island, via some fantastic roads to Dunedin to stay with a mate with whom I have done 5 overseas motorcycle trips. More puss ups!

This morning with urgings and communications from both the Kiwis TK and JK we travelled south to Invercargill (look that one up Sprock) via the Catlins coast. What a bloody fantastic ride. I stuck a new rear Dunlop on TK's steed in Dunedin and his bike travelled as if on rails up, down, over and around the valleys and hills of that wonderful road. The acceleration and sound up and around the curves was wonderful. And I do have to say TK - no chicken strips left on the new tyres Pictures WILL be forthcoming.

We've just shared a fantastic BBQ dinner with more new friends, Denise and Neville in Invercargill and off to Bluff, Hayes hardware to see Burt Munro's (World's fastest) Indian in town and then north again tomorrow back to Queenstown/Wanaka. Actually it's hard to go south from here without hitting Antarctica.

I think I have gout!

Those Kiwi TK and JK boys have set a new standard in looking after the overseas guests.

I may even need a liver transplant.

Cheers, The Travelling 'Bears

Old 01-29-2013, 02:48 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by wooferdog
Pics Dammit!

Hey! Did Tony receive the magazine, or is it following the same route as the postcard?

Hey Woof

Yes the TK did read the magazine and I read it from cover to cover whilst I was there as well, so that's three CBRF members (including you) now have read it.

The article is so good it needs to be scanned in, PDF'ed and posted to share with other members.

Hope all is well, and the Fix It Again Tony (FIAT) isn't causing too many headaches, late nights and skinned knuckles. That's Honda's job

Cheers, SB

Old 01-29-2013, 03:27 AM

Sorry Woof, missed that, it turned up at my work during the summer break, so it was a few weeks before I got my hands on it. Was a great read, I thought with the impending Seb visit I would just hang on to it for an extra week or so, so another member could get to enjoy it.

My work is finished, I will scan the main article tomorrow and hand the file over to Naga, who appears to know how to make things available to people through the magic of the internerd.

Any way, you remember the rules; who wants it next?

Old 01-29-2013, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

Off to E Hayes to see the Burt Munro bike (and others) this morning then off to Te Aneau before heading north to Wanaka today.

I'm sooooooo excited

Cheers, SB

Old 01-30-2013, 01:50 AM

Hey Seb
I hope the Ginger Ninja looked after you guys well last night.
He says that you would be keen to come back over for the Burt Munroe Rally at the end of November. I will definately be a starter for that and maybe also Kiwi LK. The only problem with that is when he and TK get together all sensibility,sobrietry,morals and any other things that civilised society hold as ideal go out the window in a real rush.
On previous occasions Nev n Denise have offered to provide accomodation if required with a tent in the back yard if necessary.
I think we should prevail upon TK to make some commitment towards this plan(maybe we could encourage some more of you East Islanders to make the crossing to motorcycling Nirvana.
Would be really good if we could organise arrival into say Wellington so we could then do a full length run down the South Island and take in some of the best roads in the entire known universe

Quick Reply: Advice for our trip to NZ :D