How To's Show us what ya did and how ya did it!

HOW TO: Plastic Speedo Gear Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009 | 01:47 PM
|
Default HOW TO: Plastic Speedo Gear Replacement

Same as before, holder spot for a write up on replacing the plastic speedo nut that fails about every 15-20k miles.

This is a step by step display of how to replace your speedometer nut on a 93-96 CBR1000F. This is actually an easy job to do. This is going to show as much as possible for those who don't know what they are doing. For those that do, why are you still reading this??

You can do several other things while doing this job as well, depending on how mechanically inclined you are (I'll talk about this at the end).

Stuff you'll need:
1) Tools to remove the left side fairing
2) 10mm wrench
2) 8mm socket with a minimun 2" extension
3) 12mm wrench or socket
4) The part itself:

FIRST STEP: Remove the LEFT SIDE FAIRING

Go from this:

To this:

In under 3 minutes

STEP TWO: Locate the Countershaft Sprocket Cover (Front Sprocket)

You should also remove the left foot kick plate (two 5mm hex bolts).

STEP THREE: Remove the Shifter Mechanism

Once you unbolt the 10mm and 12mm bolts give both ends a tug, and the whole assembly should come off. Becareful though, the 12mm bolt has a thin washer on the end that can easily slide off and get lost. Once you get it off, set it aside and proceed to...

STEP FOUR: Unbolt and Remove Cover
This is a 2 part step...
First unscrew and remove the speedometer cable (upper box):

Then unbolt the cover:

STEP FIVE: Remove the Sprocket Cover

Go ahead and pull that plastic nut off. Chance are, if it's not worn on the side that contacts the sprocket, it's the side that goes into the speedometer cable thats stripped. This is also a good time to clean out some of the heavier crud that has built up over time.

To put the new nut on, you may need to work it into the groove, then push really hard until it seats. Don't push so hard that something on the cover breaks, as there are no replaceable parts on it, you have to buy a new cover (approx. $100).

Once thats done, put the cover back on and lightly screw down the bolts. If you have a centerstand or a rear stand, put it down (or up) so that the rear wheel if moveable. Spin the rear wheel a couple of times while slowly bolting down the cover. This will help make sure the speedo nut is properly seated on the front sprocket bolt. Tighten down everything, reinstall the speedometer cable, put the shifter back on and your done.

About the shifter: there is a punch mark on the collared shaft that is supposed to match with a punch mark on the shifter for alignment purposes.

Other things that you can do while on this side are: clutch fluid replacement, coolant flush, chain replacement.

Old 06-26-2009 | 08:31 PM
November 2009 ROTM

Great "How To".
So,what size sockets do you need to remove the Front Sprocket,as i can see it now in the Photo?

Old 06-26-2009 | 10:32 PM
|

I believe it's a 12mm for the two outer ones and a 14mm for the center bolt

Old 11-02-2013 | 01:31 AM

Thanks malbojah this thread was exactly what I needed. Speedo stopped last ride so forked out $6.25 for a new speedo gear and used this thread for instructions. So much better than the manual! Cheers mate.

Old 05-19-2014 | 03:26 PM

My '93 speedo also stopped working; I (1) removed the lower end of the cable, (2) disconnected the cable housing from the speedo, and (3) verified that the green worm gear spins fine when turned down near the transmission as you show (used a jeweler's screwdriver).

Needle still refuses to move when I spin the lower end of the square cable after reattachment to the speedo housing, however. Seems like the worm gears aren't engaging each other, or? I did also verify that the needle moves fine when hand turning its direct worm gear when the cable housing was detached.

Had you tried this procedure prior to pulling the cover, etc...?

Old 09-21-2015 | 02:49 PM

Thanks for the reply. I was almost sure it had something to do with that plastic piece.

Old 10-08-2015 | 11:57 AM

I too had the same issue, but as I was due to takethe bike for its yearly MOT, I degreased the plastic hex nut, and roughed up the inside, then used some plastic filler then whilst it was pliable, pushed the housing over the sprocket bolt to form a mould, then once dry remove, trim, and surprise surprise it works well,. lets see for how long.

Old 09-05-2017 | 05:06 PM

THANK YOU FOR ALL THIS. I have a 1994 CBR1000F. this forum goes from the
hurricane to the blackbird. I am in between. My speedomer has not worked for over 2 years. Finally ..thanks to you , I can see where it goes. I was searching all the wrong places.

Old 09-06-2017 | 09:15 AM

Mine dropped out for the second time so I ordered another plastic part. To keep me riding while waiting on the part, I put a small hose clamp around it to make it stop slipping.

Funny thing, the other day while out in the garage I found the part I had order and not replaced. I guess I forgot and have been running with the clamp for over 15k miles.

Old 09-06-2017 | 05:50 PM
Default More of the same speedogear 1994 CBR1000F

Thanks to this thread....I had the courage and knowledge to
disassemble.

examination showed everything worked but the speedometer plastic female part was slipping on the
sprocket nut. at the same time..when i put the plastic part over the
nut is was snug as can be. somehow...only 5% of the part was on the
nut and that part showed wear. I adjusted the nut by taking off and reinstalling with 3mm lest depth and it works.

The design seems like a freakish Honda design error. My experience is
the "plastic nut cap" is allowed to slide on its shaft. maybe that is why the clamp worked forever. Im thinking, i should have put a dab of jb weld to keep it from sliding off the nut.
I will update on how long my "fix" lasts.
UPDATE. I have now had the bike apart twice.. the first time the speedometer worked for 100feet.
I think when i pressed the cover back on the sproket nut pushed the plastic female out of position. I did it again and it has worked for several miles. The condition of my plastic piece appears near perfect. I submit this is a design flaw. the plastic part is allowed to slide off the counter sproket nut. it is a press fit . I will update with how long it stays in position.

Last edited by sdanville; 09-08-2017 at 08:51 AM. Reason: up date

Quick Reply: HOW TO: Plastic Speedo Gear Replacement