How To: Paint and Body How'd you get that unique look? Show your skills with pics and write-ups of how you did it ...

How to get swirl marks out

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 02:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get swirl marks out

Hey guys.

Hi iv just recently painted my front fender by rattle canning it.
All went well apart from the last part,
I have been rubbing with some compound with my orbital sander with a compound pad on that was ok it really brought out the colour there was a few places i could not get with it so i did the, by hand but by doing this i have put swirl marks in it.
Is there a way to eliminate this here is some pics of before and after.
I took pics all the way through so might do a full write up soon.
Its hard to see the marks but where the light is thats were they are.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 04-11-2012, 03:33 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Moved to Paint & Body

Old 04-11-2012, 11:16 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get finer grade compound and continue rubbing. To get swirl marks out the compound should be like the finest grade you can get. And I wouldn't use the machine on that so you wont rub the paint through. I sometimes deliver stuff to a painting shop that paint high gloss high end furniture, and they have this super-duper fine compound that takes off the finest markings there is, like the kind you don't even see anymore, but what creates oil-like colourings when looked from a certain angle.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:28 PM

Cheers mattson got some today it was called finishing compound after a little patience it came out looking sweet.
It will never be as good as a pro but am really happy the way it's turned out.
Right time for the rest of the fairings.
Where would I put a write up about it as I would like to do it just to remind myself how I did it.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After using the rubbing compound , use polish. Rubbing compound is for heavy to medium scratches, and polish is for medium to light scratches and swirls.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:42 AM

I've been a detailer for a long time. U want to use a finishing polish, but what makes the job a hundred times easier and come out like new is an orbital buffer. I have the porter PC with flexible Velcro backing. I fix alot of swirls using a quick once over with my dewalt high-speed rotary & finish her off with my PC.
I apply paint sealant with it too.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by imcomininhot
I've been a detailer for a long time. U want to use a finishing polish, but what makes the job a hundred times easier and come out like new is an orbital buffer. I have the porter PC with flexible Velcro backing. I fix alot of swirls using a quick once over with my dewalt high-speed rotary & finish her off with my PC.
I apply paint sealant with it too.
Iv finished the front fender off and it looks pretty sweet. Am just doing the front nose now and am struggling a little i have got some finishing polish and an orbital sander which I have the Velcro pads for. What am finding hard is because the nose is not a flat piece it's hard to get it all with it.
So far iv used a rubbing compound with hand then am on with the finishing stuff now maybe am just trying to hard I want it looking like glass but am picky as soon as I see another little light mark am back at it again.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by cbrfxsmithy_6_7
So far iv used a rubbing compound with hand then am on with the finishing stuff now maybe am just trying to hard I want it looking like glass but am picky as soon as I see another little light mark am back at it again.
Ya, u gotta be careful. Rubbing compound is often too much... I don't think we have alot of clear coat to be just cutting away, time and time again. U could use RC for a small spot, then get a cutter, polish... its real tough too because u could very easily rub away the whole layer of clear coat.
Naturally from the factory, Clear coat is a UV inhibitor which keeps it from oxidizing, however that is only the top 2 layers of what the clear is... its like this:
xxxxxxxxx
yyyyyyyyy
oooooooo
oooooooo
oooooooo
& then your color, which is dull or rather a matte finish.
once u cut away the top two layers of the clear,(x&y) it will still be beautiful, glass like look - not a scratch on it/ spider webbing gone - but will be very susceptible to fading/oxidizing much easier because it's not protected from the UV rays... that's where waxes & paint sealants come in. They are your UV protectants and can, if cared for, last upto 8 wks...( waxes 2-3 usually )
Avoid high-friction washes, harsh brushes, and harsh soaps.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:13 PM

The clear coat is what I have out on I have just resprayed it.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by cbrfxsmithy_6_7
The clear coat is what I have out on I have just resprayed it.
Perfect, it should be pretty fun getting that to look glossy like u want it.
thats another thing I am really unfamiliar with these bikes and kinda dread is painting, wet sanding, buff & polishing these off to looking incredible ... I've seen some really nice bikes and a big part of it was the paint. im hoping that 2 stage paint all the plastics is going to be a smooth and painless job.
I'll look for a forum and post my project

Quick Reply: How to get swirl marks out