How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

Seat cowl

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 07:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Seat cowl

ORIGINAL: kiggy74

Wow, that's a great idea. How will the cowl attach to the bike? I've seen the Targas, but I don't know how they attach either....
Well after I fiber glass it I am going to fiber-glass the bolts to the cowl and for the locking bracket I am using large eye bolts, but I have to reshape them to make them fit into the lock. Attaching them to the cowl will be the easiest part.

Old 02-07-2006, 08:51 PM

ORIGINAL: arkas

ORIGINAL: kiggy74

Wow, that's a great idea. How will the cowl attach to the bike? I've seen the Targas, but I don't know how they attach either....
Well after I fiber glass it I am going to fiber-glass the bolts to the cowl and for the locking bracket I am using large eye bolts, but I have to reshape them to make them fit into the lock. Attaching them to the cowl will be the easiest part.
Looks good, I like the idea of the point in the middle. I have some pink board laying in my garage, I might have to give it a try. I was thinking of making one that looks something like this, just to let you know I have the pics of the z1000 to show a guy that I work with that was interested. I will never own another green bike lol

-Jesse-

Old 02-07-2006, 09:13 PM

point to note if you attempt this buy some breathing mask! cough cough lol

Old 02-08-2006, 12:01 AM

Looks good, I like the idea of the point in the middle. I have some pink board laying in my garage, I might have to give it a try. I was thinking of making one that looks something like this, just to let you know I have the pics of the z1000 to show a guy that I work with that was interested. I will never own another green bike lol

Saw a green one on Ebay the other day for $60.00.

Old 02-08-2006, 12:12 AM

ORIGINAL: arkas

Saw a green one on Ebay the other day for $60.00.

$60 for a z1000 LOL j/k thats about all I would pay for one though, I'm not a big fan of the street fighter thing.

I think I'm going to start on it this weekend. Looks like your making some good progress though keep up the good work.

-Jesse-

Old 02-08-2006, 11:47 PM

Sanding done now time for the plastic wrap and then the fiber-glass coating. If you do this pick up some 100 grit sand paper and some 60 grit sandpaper, oh and make sure you make it a bit smaller than what you need because the fiber glass will make it larger...Anyone have any tips on fiber-glassing?

Old 02-09-2006, 12:11 AM

Man, that is looking good. I'm still not sure how you plan to attach this thing to your bike, but I'll just keep posted see how you do it.

As far as fiberglassing, you could check some model airplane forums. They use fiberglass to cover wings. For that matter, I'm sure any hobby shop that you bought the fiberglass and apoxy from could give you tips on how to do it.

Old 02-09-2006, 02:22 AM

All taped up ready for the messy stuff

Old 02-09-2006, 12:00 PM

looks pretty nice man... clear packing tape release great from the resin, that masking tape might soak it up a little bit. I've thought about doing this but i just haven't gotten around to it... how are you going to anchor it to the bike???

Old 02-09-2006, 12:19 PM

Holy crap dude it looks REALLY good. I can't wait to see it finished.

Quick Reply: Seat cowl