How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

Polishing COMPLETE!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007 | 03:43 AM
Default RE: Polishing COMPLETE!

ORIGINAL: Grady

Nice. Dude your bike is hot! Have fun keeping those perty wheels clean...
+1

Old 01-06-2007 | 08:38 PM
|

Thats what I call the "labor of love".

Old 01-11-2007 | 04:06 AM

Which metal polish did you use?

(Lookin good!)

Old 01-12-2007 | 12:23 AM
|

Its called Airplane Cleaner. I don't have a pic of it right now, but check out RCKT GRL's forum on it. It should be on page 2 or 3 of this section. She has a picture of it. You can find it in Advance Auto parts or Autozone. Great stuff.

Old 01-12-2007 | 04:19 AM

I actually already picked up the Airplane Remover stuff....wait, remover vs. cleaner? Or same thing? They should be...

Anywho if they are, I thought you used the airplane stuff to remove the initial layer off first then used another polish to finish it up.

Old 01-12-2007 | 03:51 PM
|

Oh yeah. Sorry about that. I was reading too fast. The polish is called "Blue Magic" Metal Polish Cream. It comes in a small shiny blue container. About 8 oz. Shined em right up. You'll also find it in Autozone or Advance.

Old 01-12-2007 | 06:22 PM
BB

I also posted under the "Polishing Rims" heading, but didn't get any feedback. My question is, do you have to reapply the polish from time to time, or is it a permanant finish like paint? I would just hate to strip the factory paint from my rims just to find out that a few years down the road, they start to rust or just start looking bad.

Old 01-13-2007 | 11:13 PM
|

ORIGINAL: BB

I also posted under the "Polishing Rims" heading, but didn't get any feedback. My question is, do you have to reapply the polish from time to time, or is it a permanant finish like paint? I would just hate to strip the factory paint from my rims just to find out that a few years down the road, they start to rust or just start looking bad.

You gotta apply it from time to time, just when they get dirty from riding. Just treat them the same way you would the rims on a car. Clean them off to get rid of the dirt and what not, and apply the polish as a finishing touch to shine them up. Simple as that. And it doesn't hurt no matter how many times you apply it.

Old 01-14-2007 | 04:53 PM

did you also sand or just use the stripper.. i remember seing a post about doing it without sanding

Old 01-15-2007 | 07:22 PM
|

You gotta sand. I used steel wool.

Quick Reply: Polishing COMPLETE!