How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

Install Garage Door Remote on bike (lots of pics, page may load slow!!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 08:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Install Garage Door Remote on bike (lots of pics, page may load slow!!)

Here are the pics of my installation. I didn't get all the steps in a picture, but I hope this will help any one that may want to do this themselves.

Here is the remote taken apart. I have already soldered leads to the positive and negative side where the remotes battery was connected and then I have tried to waterproof it by using Liquid Tape and PlastiDip.

Here is the Liquid Tape and PlastiDip in case you want to know what they look like to go buy it:

Here is the pack of Momentary Switches that I picked up at Radio Shack. I soldered leads to both posts.

OK... I did more work than was necessary because I hadn't quite decided where to put the switch. First I removed the seat.

Then I removed this little side panel from the top shelter. This is the piece where I finally decided to mount the switch which you will see later.

Next, I removed the top shelter.

Here's the bike with the top shelter removed - ended up the top shelter did not need to be removed for my application, but it was pretty easy. Only 4 screws and it just pops off.

Next I took off the left fairing to reveal the fuse block. I ran the wires from the momentary switch down to the fuse block (after I used a wire gutter to protect the wires).

I ran the ground wire to a nearby nut, and connected the power to the remote. I also wrapped the remote circuit board in electrical tape to protect it and add a little more waterproofing.

In this picture, I have mounted double-stick tape to whatever that is, and am just getting ready to put the circuit board on top of the tape. You can see the power running from the fuse on the right.

Here is where I decided to mount the switch.

Everything is done now, just put the fairing back on, the top shelter and side panels, and the seat. Here is everything back together. I circled where the switch is.

Old 08-23-2006, 09:24 PM
Default RE: Install Garage Door Remote on bike (lots of pics, page may load slow!!)

That's Awesome!! Now, all I need to do this is a garage to put my bike in!!!! That's awesome though! Nice Mod!!!

Old 08-23-2006, 11:43 PM
Default RE: Install Garage Door Remote on bike (lots of pics, page may load slow!!)

Now thats something that I can see myself doing! Ive got the stupid key pads to open the garage door but you usually have to end up putting the code in like 3 times before it will actually open or close the door. I think I might it up closer to my instrument cluster or somewhere close to there. something to put on the "to do" list for when the bike is disassembled in winter for paint.

I had one question though, the battery in the remote wasn't a 12v battery (at least Im pretty sure they arent), so what did you do to reduce the voltage when wiring the remote up to the bike, if anything?

Old 08-23-2006, 11:48 PM

ORIGINAL: LoneWolf04
I had one question though, the battery in the remote wasn't a 12v battery (at least Im pretty sure they arent), so what did you do to reduce the voltage when wiring the remote up to the bike, if anything?
Actually, yes. The battery was a 12v. I don't know if they all are or not. It was a pretty small battery and I just took the cover off and checked before I even started.

Old 08-23-2006, 11:59 PM

Nicely done. Glad everything worked out. I need to hook mine up now. I'm thinking of relocating and changing the size of my button as well.

Old 08-24-2006, 12:36 AM

ORIGINAL: sic00F4i

Nicely done. Glad everything worked out. I need to hook mine up now. I'm thinking of relocating and changing the size of my button as well.
Thanks for the idea and the info. Once you said what your previous owner had done, it all made sense. So simple I don't know why I didn't think of it before. I guess I was like LoneWolf04 and didn't realize the remote was 12v - that's what makes it all so easy.

I've been unhappy with my remote ever since I got the bike. Now I don't have to worry about it.

Old 08-24-2006, 01:47 PM

Nicely done! Also good to see an actual write-up in the DIY section! I just keep my remote in the chest pocket of my riding jacket with the button facing out, so if I push on my chest in the right spot the door opens. I feel a little "cyborg" that way, but I might just be inspired by your work to install a button on the bike. Again, nice work!

Old 08-26-2006, 01:59 AM

Alright, so I took apart my garage fob made by craftsman and the battery powering it is only 3 volts. Now this may get a little more interesting as to either lower the voltage from the bike down to 3 volts with some resistors, or just wiring things up so I have a battery in it instead of using power from the bike, since the battery in them doesnt go bad that often as it is. Also, the fob I have has 3 buttons for opening doors, but I will probably just hook up a switch to the main button. Defidently a good idea to check the battery voltage your key fob has before you start.

Old 08-26-2006, 11:38 AM

Yeah, my remote had 3 buttons as well. The thing I missed in the write-up that I mentioned in another post was that I had to solder a jumper on the main button to simulate it always being depressed. That way, my new button was the only thing that needed to be pressed to complete the circuit.

Sounds fundamental and common sense, but I just wanted to mention it again.

You could always test your remote with a 12v battery and see what happens!

Old 08-26-2006, 05:17 PM

Very nice- I have exactly the same remote- now scoping for a nice spot to mount it up!

At least now I don't have to look for a new battery- and thanks for the heads up- I had no idea
it was a 12v battery! Too cool!

Quick Reply: Install Garage Door Remote on bike (lots of pics, page may load slow!!)