How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

i-pod while riding.install.. not 56k

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 06:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default i-pod while riding.install.. not 56k

this was brought up by tk .......just wanted to add how i did mine. i have the i-pod shuffle 1gb.good for 300 songs?
instead of running the wires up through shirt and helmet i took the liner out of my helmet,and in the space where your ears would be located put a good quality set of headphones. then wound the wires between the cheek pads andout the bottom between the shell and neck pad. i left about 2 inches made a loop and sew'd it to the neck pad with enough slack to plug it in works great everything is contained on the helmet no loose wires to fumble with and one hand control of volume and song change.just max the volume turn it on shuffle and ride.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: i-pod while riding...

Thats a good idea! do the headphones block out the wind? That was the biggest problem i had was i had to crank the ipod way up to hear the music cuz the wind was so loud, no with the head phones i have i can have the ipod at about half volume and hear it as loud as i need. If i had the extra flow i i would spend the money on another ipod to make permanent on my helmet. Care to do a step by step for us?

Old 10-20-2008, 06:59 PM

Ran with the I-pod for about a yr. Got tired of having the earbuds move or fall out. Purchased the Autocomm and havent looked back!

Old 10-20-2008, 07:07 PM

they dont block all the wind noise but i can still hear if there are sirens [sm=smiley3.gif]or screeching brakes behind me. thats where the quality of the headphones comes in...

ill try to do a step by step. may be tomarrow befor i get all the pics done and posted

Old 10-20-2008, 08:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Hcstreetriding

Care to do a step by step for us?
alright im gonna use an hjc cl 12 for this and my assistant mr. square pants. im going to use a white wire for the color contrast in pics. i used a pair of KOSS headphones about 1 1/4 inch diamiter. and an APPLE I-POD SHUFFLE ($49 at wal-mart) i am useing ear buds for the demonstration. while doing this i realized you could use ear buds let them hang inside. put helmet on then put buds in ear. total time aprox one hour.

first remove the cheek pads and nose area (one peice) there will be a little adhesive frfom the factory if they haven't been out before.

on the hjc there were small openings on the cloth liner. insert the head phonesinto the voidand sew the hole shut. youmay have to seperate the headphone wires a little more. (pic 3) if there are no openings in the cloth pull a little bit off the foam and push speaker around to the void.

now re install the cheek pads. dont forget to thread the chinstrap. route the wires be hind the cheek pads now is the time to decide what side to place your i-pod on. i suggest left side so your hand is still on the throttle as your adjusting volume song ect.

route the wires between the inner and outer shell. either toward the front or rear whatever will hold the wire in place best,(hjc front is easiest)tuck them in about a half inch. i removed the trim for pics it is not nessacary but may help. this is where the twowires join and continue to the input jack.

tuck any remaining wire behind the cheekpad, and leaving about 3 inches from end make sure everything is put back in place. then sew a small amount at the 2 points indicated in pic 2. then any i-pod shuffle or small mp3 player with a clip will hold itself on the wire. i-pod will hold on at 165 mph. maybe more

Old 10-20-2008, 08:49 PM

if some one wants to move this to the general tech or other feel free

Old 10-21-2008, 10:48 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: skip954

if some one wants to move this to the general tech or other feel free
Nah, it is in the perfect place ... nice how to ... love the pictures

Old 10-21-2008, 06:39 PM