How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

How to Twist Wire for a Neat Electrical Install

Old 01-07-2009, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Twist Wire for a Neat Electrical Install

HOW TO TWIST WIRES......

STEP1) Gather tools and wire....

STEP2) CLAMP WIRE TO SOLID OBJECT, EVEN OUT WIRE LENGHT, INSERT WIRE INTO DRILL CHUCK.

STEP3) TWIST WIRE WITH DRILL

STEP4) UNCLAMP. NOW YOU HAVE THE ABILITY TO CREATE NEAT AFTERMARKET WIRING INSTALLS.

I would also high reccomend people stop just twisting wires together and wrapping them with electrical tape. [:'(]I hate that.For good connections, I solder, then put liquid electrical tape on that, then two layers of heat shrink. I do the same when I put a terminal on the end of a wire...be it for a ground or for quick disconnect.

I also color match my wire.....make sure you always get STRANDED wire...solid wire is not good for automotive applications...

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/category/825450/Wire/Hook-Up-100-Rolls-/1.html

I also order my heat shrink from here...you can get it in 4 foot sections for $2 or $3

Old 01-28-2009, 08:04 PM

question:

When you have a very small wire(high gauge) it gets fragile when you solder it and often breaks all the way through if it is flexed at all. What can you do in that case to keep a good connection? thicker wires are not an issue since they are much stronger but some like the ones coming from turn signals are very thin.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:45 PM

that is a good oldschool trick,

as for the thin wire question, you need to immobolize the wire somehow, with either a grommet style clamp or possibly a knot or wrapping it around a ost somewhere.

good ol'fashion tape works wonders too

Old 06-04-2009, 10:50 PM

For small wires or really any wire that is in a location that is vibrated a grommet style strain relief will keep the solder from vibrating and breaking loose; also be sure clean up the surfaces with a decent flux prior to making your connection to ensure a good contact.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:28 PM

HAHA Hell yeah! I've been doing this for like 10 years with PC fans. Thought I was the only one! Awesome, easy tip to share!

Old 06-15-2009, 09:34 PM

very nice. it's simple but i would not have thought of it.

SD

Old 06-15-2009, 10:12 PM

i have been doing this for years, i used to install car alarms, and stereo's, this was the preferred way to make a nice clean install.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by TBFGhost
then put liquid electrical tape on that
I could never get the hang of that stuff. It would always drip off, so there'd never be enough on the wire to insulate it. Is there a particular brand you reccomend, maybe?

Old 06-17-2009, 10:48 AM

^You have to leave it in the goop for a few seconds and then pull it out of the goop just as slow.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:53 PM

I use this method a lot. Definitely keeps a clean look instead of looking like a mess of snakes

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to Twist Wire for a Neat Electrical Install