How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

How To: Make a cheap Track Day Bike Hauler (relatively speaking)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 10:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How To: Make a cheap Track Day Bike Hauler (relatively speaking)

yea genious. I know exactly what i am looking for now.....

Old 05-22-2007, 02:53 AM

Was that sarcasm? LOL

Old 05-22-2007, 04:26 PM

Damn dude...that's sick

Old 05-24-2007, 02:41 AM

best way to get yurself better mpg is tire pressure, clean air filter, fresh oil, new fuel filter, light right foot, and tranny/rear diff fluid really helps make the engine work less which = more mpg... might wanna clean the carb. get a fuel additive for it or somtin.

Old 07-22-2007, 10:15 PM

Nice work. That's also a pretty decent ramp there for that price. I paid that much for a little tiny one .

Old 07-26-2007, 08:49 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: OldFatGuy

I didn't want to spend $4K on a trailer and another $35K on a SUV to pull it around, so this is what I did to be able to take my bike to track days and on vacations and such.

1) Find a cheap beater full size van like this one I got off of ebay. I spent $600 on the van, $96 to get it to pass inspection, and $45 on a new battery.

2) Throw in a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood and bolt it down so it can't move around. I'm going to put in some 3M skid resistant tape so that if the plywood gets wet, the tires won't slide around.

3) Buy a couple of Wheel Chocks, some ratcheting tie down straps, and I used eye bolts to create mounting points for the tie downs. I went with the removable Pingle wheel chocks. Determine where the chock should go, and bolt down the mouting hardware that comes with the chock. Here is a shot of the mouting hardware:

4) Here is the first Wheel Chock mounted. As you can see, I initally planned on mounting it further to the outside edge of the van, but some beams running under the floor prevented me from being able to mount my eye bolts there, so I had to adjust the position a little further in. No big deal, just wanted to mention it in case anyone was wondering about the other outline.

5) Pull the bike in and put the front wheel into the wheel chock. I used the Canyon Dancer straps on my 1KRR clipons tp secure the front of the bike in the wheel chock. Here is a shot of the Canyon Dancer and securing the front of the bike in the chock.

6) Once the bike is in and standing on it's own in the wheel chock, put some straps on the swing arm and determine where to put a couple of other eye bolts to use as mounting points for these straps. The pingle instructions said to use the rear straps to also pull the bike into the wheel chock. I know some people have the rear straps pulling on the bike away from the front. I went with the wheel chock manufacturers recommendation on this one as it made sense to me to have it pulling the bike into the wheel chock as a back up in case the front straps failed for some reason.

7) Basically do the same thing on the other side for another bike. If you're only going to be hauling one bike, then center the wheel chock instead of putting it on the sides. Keep in mind to check underneath to make sure any holes you are drilling will not hit anyting important and will be easily accessible. I wanted to be able to get my wife's Shadow in the van as well. We're heading to Deals Gap on Thursday, and we're taking both bikes. Here's a shot with the other wheel chock already mounted as well as all strap mounting points and both bikes in the back of the van. As you can see, I put some of the 3M Skid Resistant tape on the aluminum ramp. I was raining this morning when I started and the ramp was pretty slippery when it was wet.

One tip for using the ramp. There are 6 fingers that lay on the floor of the van and chains to keep the ramp from slipping off. The chains didn't

Old 03-06-2008, 11:02 PM

GREAT IDEA

Old 03-25-2008, 09:21 PM

great pics, glad you enjoyed the trip. i live about 1/2hr from the dragon. awsome ride and excellent veiws. i found best time to ride dragon is on a monday or tuesday morning. less idiots if you know what i mean. p.s. new member here, love the website.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome k5. Must be nice to ride the Dragon all the time.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:22 PM

That's really cool man I think I am going to give this a try. But hows the insurance on it? I was thinking of going for a trailer/hitch setup but nobody will let me put a hitch on their cars haha, and this looks like more fun. Also will be good for the bad weather. I was going to get a dual sport next but maybe I'll do this first.

Quick Reply: How To: Make a cheap Track Day Bike Hauler (relatively speaking)