How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

how to get factory finish quality with spray cans....

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 11:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: how to get factory finish quality with spray cans....

yea i have to be honest my Bike is a 94 cbr600f2 andit used to beblack and red and purple until some guy ran in to it and on a budget of about90 bucks i went down to ace hardware and bought some cans of gun metal grey and some clear and about a week later it looks like it does in my siggywhich i think looks great!! as for durabillity its great too! like i say a paint job is 95% prep work and the rest is painting. if you do a good job on prep and have a good quality paint there is no reason it cant last and look good.one thing i will say is i would buyquality clear cote because that is what makes a paint job. and therattle can stuff dosent hold its shine all that long! if anyone wants more info let me know

Old 01-29-2008, 03:50 AM

very nice looking bike adam! got more pics (hi-res) and close up of the quality?

Old 01-29-2008, 03:54 AM

also i was thinking of buying a paint gun. i saw a set of 3 guns (1 touchup gun, 1 primer gun, 1 coat gun) for about $95. does anyone have a write up on how to do it w/ a paint gun?

Old 02-05-2008, 12:05 AM

prep is prep. scuff to degloss, make sure the substrait is absolutly clean. depending on what kind of spray gun you have, adjust air pressure and fan. and spray.

there is no real difference in color from spray can to professional shop paint ie. dupont/ppg - except its just cheap. color is color. its the clear coat that you put on that makes or breaks the deal.

you can rattle can whatever you like, but i would take the colored pieces to a shop and get them cleared with urethane.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:50 PM

I bought a case of gloss black spray cans at Wal-mart once. shook about 6 or 8 of them up and poked a small hole to release the pressure. After the pressure escaped, I cut a bigger hole in the can and poured each can into a gallon jug including the rattlers. I then pour some of the paint into a spray gun and Gave a car a quick and cheap paint job. i wound up using about 10 cans and painted the whole car. after it cured a few days I then wet sanded with 2000 grit paper then buffed it out. It shined like a new one! bad thing is it only lasted about 10 months before fading and getting dull, 2 reasons why: it was always parked outside in the sun and I never clear coated it. Nobody knew that I only had $12 in the paint job. People always told me how good it looked.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:30 PM
Banned

Hey Adam, that's crazy. When did you paint your F2? I did my F3 back in March of 2007... crazy!

Name:  F3-7.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  172.0 KB

Name:  F3-8.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  123.3 KB

Old 02-15-2008, 11:26 PM

haha that's freakin awesome. i was thinking about doing that for quick cheap paint...

Old 02-16-2008, 11:11 AM
Banned

Make no mistake about it - that paint job on my bike was not a rattlecan. Done at CarStar. Satin clear coat = sickness.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:06 AM

i like the satin/flattening agent in my clears. when i get a new car im going to put satin clear on it. alot of people dont do it because they want that glossy look. i really like the matte finishes on hotrods, hella clean.

nice grips btw...

Old 07-23-2008, 01:47 PM

,m,m,m

Quick Reply: how to get factory finish quality with spray cans....