How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

Hotbodies Flush Mount FIX!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hotbodies Flush Mount FIX!

Can anyone post pics of their wiring set-up with the resistors and diodes?

Old 07-21-2006, 04:03 PM

Well now that I've got 'em all covered up with shrink tubing you wouldn't be able to see much. But that link above is a pretty good diagram of how to set up the circuit - the only thing I added was a resistor to the turn signal lead (this will help slow the blinker down a bit). Resistors are pretty cheap so get a few different sizes (1k, 2k, 5k, 10k ohm) to get the flash rate where you want it.

Sorry I can't get you any pics...

Old 07-24-2006, 03:18 PM

Okay, so it's not a photograph, but a little more visually representative of what it looks like. I switched one side of my bike over to the diode method, so I now have one side with a relay and the other with the diodes. They both work exactly the same, you can just hear the faint "click" of the relay on one side.

If you're comfortable with basic wiring (i.e. soldering) this is an easy one. 2 "1N5400" diodes from radioshack(per side). Just be sure to shrink wrap everything to avoid shorts circuits!

If you don't want to use the plug you can just solder the red wire from the aftermarket blinkers directly to the two diodes and the black wire directly to the green.

adapted from:
http://hooliganbiketech.dynup.net/ho...htdiodefix.htm

Old 07-24-2006, 07:35 PM

Do you have to solder or can you simply splice the diodes and wires together and then wrap it with electrical tape?

BTW, thank your kid for that great drawing [sm=joke.gif]

Old 07-24-2006, 07:46 PM

um... yeah... I'll be sure to thank my ...um... kid, yeah, that's it... my kid made that drawing..

No, you don't have to use solder, use whatever you'd like. Solder's just the best option. The diode leads are solid, though, so you'll need some sort of crimp connector, the old "twist and tape" method probably won't hold long at all. I'm sure others will jump all over you for it, but hey, if you don't have the tools or the skills, use whatever you got. It may rattle loose over time, so just keep an eye on it and you'll be fine.

A buddy of mine back in middle school used to use hot glue to connect wires... he could never figure out why his RC car wouldn't run right...

Old 09-04-2006, 03:39 PM

If you wanted to do the diode fix and install resistors to correct the blink rate, where do you guys think the resistor should be placed? I was thinking between the two wires coming from the flushmount, but then the resistor would be hot all the time because the current from the running light circuit would pass through it when its not blinking. What about if you hook it between the flushmount ground wire and just the blinker wire (before or after diode???)? What do you guys think is best?

Old 09-05-2006, 05:20 PM

looks like i found the solution to my problem...thanks guys!!!...
oh...i added the 50ohm resistors from radio shack...wasn't too impressive...so i took it off...

Old 09-10-2006, 05:53 AM

I want to thank all involved in information on the fix. It worked as planned. My only question is how do you know which diode to use. I used 4001 doides after trying #4001-4007 I bought assorted package. I am also using resisters on the back light LED intergrated light I added. I would still like to slow down blink rate a little but figure now I will just add a different signal relay. Does that sound correct ?
Thanks

Old 09-11-2006, 08:24 AM

if you have LEDs all the way around then you need resistors all the way around

use the diodes mentioned in the link i posted

i am pretty sure that he mentions resistors size as well
connect the resistor across the + and - wire

make sure and wrap it good they get hot

Old 09-16-2006, 02:15 PM