How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

garage door opener.. (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 05:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default garage door opener.. (pics)

with all due respect, and 100% credit to "OldFatGuy"... i did the garage door opener also.

i hated leaving my opener out in the open, fearing someone to walk by and snag it, and worry about someone following me home one day, and also, not having to dig around in my bag for my opener, i decided to take this mod on.

ive been working with electronics formany years, and have a decent selection of soildering tools, and small hand tools. de-soildering brass braid is a must for this modification. it worked awesome when pulling out the LED, and factory switch.

the install is pretty straight forward. once i removed the upper cowl.. i noticed a lack of space, except a removeable resonator type duct for the intake pipe inlet.. once i removed that, i had enough room.. ruffly the size of a tennis ball.

since i didn't want to wire it to the bike, and use the 12V system on the bike.. i just through in a fresh 12V remote battery.. it should last me another 4 years easy.

and my bike is a 2004. enjoy, and feel free to ask any questions.

oh, and i also live in so cal.. where moisture is usally pretty low, and i would never enjoying riding in the rain, so i decided not to make it completly weather proof.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:32 AM
Default RE: garage door opener.. (pics)

Good, very clean. I need to do the same to my bike. Probably comes in pretty handy.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:01 PM

since i did this.. now im imagining what i can do to the other side.. lol

Old 07-11-2007, 12:20 PM
Registered Users

wow...you did EXACTLY the same thing I did.....lol...with almost the same parts....

Name:  Garage-View2.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  29.4 KB

that's a dirty pic with a camera phone...but i essentially put the remote under the molding as well as i didn't want to wire to the battery either....i used the same momentary switch too i think and maybe even the LED...hahaha.....radioshack ftw!!! hell i even used velcro to hold my remote in place!

the ONLY thing i did different was keep the stock button and led on the remote and just wired in "extra" leads from them...reason being, this way if i want to return it to the way it was (it's a condo garage door) i can just de-solder the leads and it is the same as it was before....either way....nice job...ha!

Old 07-11-2007, 01:57 PM

hey! i like it!

i like where you placed yours. mine is like totally visable, but without fear of somebody taking your opener. i like where you put yours, but when i took the plastic off, i don't remember there being a whole lot of room next to the frame, so i decided to go up further. also, when you push the button, can you even see the LED at that angle? the LED i bought is visable to 25 degrees left to right. there's no way you can see it like that. cool, and inconspicuous, but not user friendly.

Old 07-12-2007, 02:22 PM

You know.. you could take the securityon this one step further and put a relay on, wiring the relay to the ignition. That way, the door opener will only work if you have the bike turned on.

Old 07-12-2007, 02:28 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those of us who are lazy and incompetent post your location and charge install one on my bike .. lol .. no seriously though ... lol

nice job mang

Old 07-13-2007, 03:38 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HEY! I might have to tackle this little project.........that would help me out SO much.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:42 PM

Very slick ! Now you gotta paint the garage door like a checkered flag !

Old 07-15-2007, 08:18 PM

Just did mine and love it! nice write up on this.

Quick Reply: garage door opener.. (pics)