How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

F4i Rearset Lift: Alternative to silly-expensive rearsets...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 12:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Rearset Lift: Alternative to silly-expensive rearsets...

has anyone tested how much load is required before the rearset will start to sag? i think it would be a very good idea to loctite the hell out of that thing.

Old 09-07-2006, 05:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tahoe-- look at the way it is installed-- the only way it will "sag" is if either the rearset itself bends or the aluminum brackets buckle, or if the bolts come out altogether. It is anchored at the top in the original mounting hole and all the bracket does is slide the lower mount back. It forms a triangle and will not move unless the bolt comes all the way out. Like I said in the other post, if you've got bolts coming loose, you're in trouble regardless of what rearsets you use. I can stand on it, jump on it, pull on it, pry on it, and it doesn't move any more than the minor flex that exists even in the stock position. It's solid. I promise.

Old 09-21-2006, 01:38 AM

this is a really good mod man, what else you have up you sleve?

Old 04-15-2007, 11:20 AM

BUMP for a cool mod!

Old 04-30-2007, 01:50 PM
Default RE: F4i Rearset Lift: Alternative to silly-expensive rearsets...

ORIGINAL: jjbtao

Head to the other side, and repeat the process. On the shift side, you will have to adjust the shift linkage. Here's a picture of how mine ended up, post adjustment. The small mark on the shaft indicates the stock location of the linkage arm (the mark lines up with the gap)

WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any position other than the stock location will cause extra wear on your tranny components (e.g. geardogs, shift forks). This can end up being a very costly mod in the end. My buddy did something similar and he ended up spending $800 to get his tranny fixed.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:07 PM

ORIGINAL: abadfish

ORIGINAL: jjbtao

Head to the other side, and repeat the process. On the shift side, you will have to adjust the shift linkage. Here's a picture of how mine ended up, post adjustment. The small mark on the shaft indicates the stock location of the linkage arm (the mark lines up with the gap)

WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any position other than the stock location will cause extra wear on your tranny components (e.g. geardogs, shift forks). This can end up being a very costly mod in the end. My buddy did something similar and he ended up spending $800 to get his tranny fixed.
If you...

1. Make sure and retain the stock notch position, and hence the same leverage and gear selection process...I don't see how this could have a problem.

Meaning, if the shifter is the same point to point...just a theoretical example below:

/______\

Also, buddy of your's, aka some unknown rider, of unknown riding and shifting techniques and qualities does not equate to making this a bad mod.

I'm not convinced of one guy doing this...and subsequently (and coincidentally) having to have his tranny replaced.

I'm sure this mod does not make the guys who make rearsets for a living are too happy......but that's the beauty of the internet...

SHARING KNOWLEDGE.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:17 PM

ignore this

Old 04-30-2007, 02:32 PM

ORIGINAL: bmg velocity

If you...

1. Make sure and retain the stock notch position, and hence the same leverage and gear selection process...I don't see how this could have a problem.

Meaning, if the shifter is the same point to point...just a theoretical example below:

/______\
BMG, we are saying the same thing!!!!

If the dot ("original mark" in the pic above) does not line up with the "slit" in the gearshift arm, you're going to to cause extra wear on tranny parts.

Also, buddy of your's, aka some unknown rider, of unknown riding and shifting techniques and qualities does not equate to making this a bad mod.

I'm not convinced of one guy doing this...and subsequently (and coincidentally) having to have his tranny replaced.
Whatever

you can believe me, you cannot. My statement still holds true. This is no different than reading some other post (of people you don't know) and taking their word for it (or not).

Old 04-30-2007, 03:00 PM

ORIGINAL: abadfish

ORIGINAL: bmg velocity

If you...

/______\
BMG, we are saying the same thing!!!!

If the dot ("original mark" in the pic above) does not line up with the "slit" in the gearshift arm, you're going to to cause extra wear on tranny parts.

Whatever

you can believe me, you cannot. My statement still holds true. This is no different than reading some other post (of people you don't know) and taking their word for it (or not).
1. Exactly why I said that you need to retain the stock gear linkage and stock notch.

You can do this by lengthening or modding the shifter bar AFTER you have your pegs where you want them.

I'm going to try it...and will let people know of any problems...

2. Fair enough...

Old 05-01-2007, 12:53 AM

changing the position of an arm on a lever is not going to effect the work that is done to it as long as the force upon that lever is the same

so in return... if the distance from the lever arm to the shifter is the same they are putting the same amount of effort into the lever which WILL NOT make any difference insdie your gear box

learn your physics before you start a rant

Quick Reply: F4i Rearset Lift: Alternative to silly-expensive rearsets...