How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

~DIY Plastic Welds, Using Epoxy to repair Fairings NEW PICS!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 11:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: DIY Plastic Welds, Using Epoxy to repair Fairings NEW PICS!!

Some of my cracks have been re-injured. What can I do to get better strength from the plastic repair? What do you guys recommend to repairing contact points on the backside of plastics?

Old 01-18-2007, 07:49 PM
Default RE: DIY Plastic Welds, Using Epoxy to repair Fairings NEW PICS!!!

What do you recommend for cleaning up the parts prior to applying the plastic weld, especially in areas where you can't sand down first?

Mounting tabs: I have a few here and there missing, how does the stuff hold up?

Missing areas, how did you "build-up" the areas where there was missing material? I read your part about the cardboard and wax paper, but more like the area on the side fairing where the mount is (I've got the same hole, and no place for the screw to hold) the one next to the frame slider hole.

And what about the tail, how did you fill that gap?

Are there any parts whereyou would now just recommend someone to replace rather than repair?

Old 01-18-2007, 11:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used wax and grease remover to clean the parts before i applied the plastic weld, the way it actually works is it chemically reacts with the exhisting plastic and melts it a little and then bonds together when it hardens back up. or at least the stuff i used did. Admittedly though the weakest points on the bike are on the upper fairing where i had to re-attach the corner piece, this could have been (as well as any other spot) strengthened with fliberglass backing to make it stronger.

In retrospect there really weren't any pieces that i would consider buying before repairing. I was looking into buying a new upper fairing because of all the damage and cracks but for the cost of an unpainted one it was just not realistic for me, when i have all the tools i need to repair it for a fraction of the cost.

When i "built up" the side bump i basically just kept mixing the plastic weld applying it waiting for it to dry and then doing it all over again until i had enough build up that i could start to shape it the way i wanted. I did try to save myself time and roughly shape the wet plastic weld when i was applying so that i wouldnt have to try and sand a nice curve from a messy glob of weld haha. It just took time waiting for each application to dry but all in all it wasnt to hard, i actually had fun doing it as opposed to repairing the upper fairing. I cursed that thing to hell and drank many beers during the process of that one.

As for the tail there was no gap?? it was just road rash that ate away some of the plastic. But if there was a hole or a gap i would have used the cardboard with the wax paper over it on the back and then applied the plastic weld on the outter side of the fairing, once it is dry the wax paper will release and you will have a nice filled hole. then just use the "build up" technique and sand to the desired shape.

plead 5th i dont really know what you mean when you say the tabs are cracked? I mean you can just use the weld along the cracks and it will seal then back up. Also i believe the plastic weld is hard enough to "tap" so you can thread a screw into it if you would like, that way you wont have to worry about it being stuck on there forever. If you had a picture of what you are talking about i might be able to better advise you on how you might go about fixing it.

I think i answered everyones questions, if you have any more just ask, and if i dont responde just e-mail me at kreush33@msn.com

p.s. Don't get caught ridin dirty' hahahaha

Old 01-19-2007, 01:18 AM

Nice work. I'll have to look into that for my mid fairings on my '96

Old 01-19-2007, 05:05 AM
Jan 2009 ROTM

very nice work and thanks for the nice write up as well.

Old 01-20-2007, 02:27 PM

I have extra paint left over if anyone would want to buy it. its the factory silver color. for the 2001 CBR600 i will go find out the paint code but i just don't feel like getting up right now. its At least half a quart. Which is enough to paint the whole bike. I used half because i had to repaint the tail section and the upper cowl twice. LEt me know, its just sitting here now so i will entertain any offers.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:38 PM

you deserve major props on that one. The bike looks great. I guess with a little time and patience anything can be done. Good work.

Old 02-24-2007, 09:43 PM
Default RE: ~DIY Plastic Welds, Using Epoxy to repair Fairings NEW PICS!!

THANKS for ALL the info and pic's !!!

Old 03-06-2007, 01:09 AM
Default RE: ~DIY Plastic Welds, Using Epoxy to repair Fairings NEW PICS!!

where did you get the paint? Im tring to get the code so i can get it mixed but nobody has the code for r258 (winning red)

Quick Reply: ~DIY Plastic Welds, Using Epoxy to repair Fairings NEW PICS!!