How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

Custom Fender Eliminator

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 04:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Fender Eliminator

Finally got around to doing my custom FE and posting pics. It was real easy and I got the idea from a bunch of other guys on the forum who'd done it, so thanks to you guys. Not only was it a fun little project, but it saved me quite a bit of money from having to buy the ones that are out there which are ridiculously overpriced.

- First I made a bunch of measurements under my battery box to determine how much clearance I would need for my plate.
- Then I drew up a simple plate mounting bracket on AutoCAD and then had a friend laser cut the piece for me out of stainless steel, which I spray painted later to make it black.
- I bent the mounting tabs to make it fit flush under my battery box and so that my license plate would be tilted back so as not to dig into my rear tire hugger.
- There's a hole in one of the corners of the battery box, so I simply drilled another hole at the other corner and mounted my bracket to it with some nuts & bolts.
- Then I used some bolt lights I got off eBay to mount my license plate onto my bracket, hid the wires under my rear cowl and voila.

Nice and tidy, and the whole project cost me less than $10.

Here's some more pics in my gallery:
https://cbrforum.com/albumphoto.asp?...Type=1&apage=1

[IMG]local://upfiles/6446/7848A875EEC8431282B11F593087883A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-03-2006, 05:18 PM
Default RE: Custom Fender Eliminator

Good job!

Old 07-04-2006, 12:08 AM

I like it. But one quick question, why do the tabs come over the plate? Is that to reflect the light back on to the plate? Looks good and I'm liking those rim stripes.

-Jesse-

Old 07-04-2006, 03:19 AM

I assume those tabs are for the "steet legal" license plate mount? Looks nice dude.

Old 07-04-2006, 05:40 AM

You two are both right! I indeed had to put those there to reflect the bolt lights back onto the plate to keep the Po-Po off my *** in case they decide to hassle me. I'm gonna modify it later with something else when I figure out how to make it look cleaner, but until then the tabs are stayin'. Thanks for lookin' everyone.

Old 07-05-2006, 12:53 AM

looks good. i am looking into making my own kit also.

Old 07-10-2006, 02:37 PM

- Then I drew up a simple plate mounting bracket on AutoCAD and then had a friend laser cut the piece for me out of stainless steel, which I spray painted later to make it black.
Do you still have the Autocad drawing? I know a guy as well, and would really like to use the drawing if that would be possible. It looks great. I just got the integrated tail light and have been waiting to install it until I could remove the fender.

Old 07-10-2006, 04:17 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: troywg

Do you still have the Autocad drawing? I know a guy as well, and would really like to use the drawing if that would be possible. It looks great. I just got the integrated tail light and have been waiting to install it until I could remove the fender.
Give me your email and I'll send it to you. The hardest part though was bending the tabs so that they'd fit flush against the battery box at the proper angle.

Old 07-12-2006, 12:36 AM

My e-mail address is troywg@hotmail.com
I really appreciate you doing this, I can't wait to install my integrated tail-light and to remove that rear fender.
Hopefully the tabs won't be too difficult to bend.

Thanks for the help.

Old 07-12-2006, 11:40 PM

yeah, I like those wheel stripes too, do they make them in silver, my wheels are polished on the outside and would like them to blend in during the day...

Jason

Quick Reply: Custom Fender Eliminator