How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

Convert 2 wire signals to 3 Wire Inputs

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 05:25 PM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

make sure that you didnt put one or both of the diodes in backwards.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have both silver strips facing outward to the oem connector for the turn signal

Old 01-30-2012, 08:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jst2fst
I just tried this method for my 2003 cbr 600rr and nothing worked. The instrument lights for the signals just stayed on as well the turn signals. I made sure to follow the directions to the T can someone please help me thanks
If you thik about is as power flowing from the turn signal switch out to the bulb, the silver strips should be closest to the turn signal bulb.

That being said - what you say is happening means you've tied the stock wiring together at some point between the the diodes and the handlebar switch. The striped wire (parking light) is feeding power back up the solid wire resulting in the dash lights staying lit,and the turns staying on at all times.

I checked the wiring schematics for your your RR - the wiring is identical to what was described in the walkthru.

Here's a crappy MSPaint diagram I made:

Attached Thumbnails  Convert 2 wire signals to 3 Wire Inputs-ledturns.jpg  
Old 02-04-2012, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
If you thik about is as power flowing from the turn signal switch out to the bulb, the silver strips should be closest to the turn signal bulb.

That being said - what you say is happening means you've tied the stock wiring together at some point between the the diodes and the handlebar switch. The striped wire (parking light) is feeding power back up the solid wire resulting in the dash lights staying lit,and the turns staying on at all times.

I checked the wiring schematics for your your RR - the wiring is identical to what was described in the walkthru.

Here's a crappy MSPaint diagram I made:

Sorry for the late reply not really on here that much. I went ahead a redid this and not my lights wont flash when signaled to. I think I have a problem with my relay. My indicator lights are off when they should be and lit when selected but don't flash. So I'll check today on the relay and see if its fried.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:43 PM

Im having a slight snag with doing this mod. Background on the bike. I had installed the proton front LED turn signals which are 3 wire signals, so they do DRL and turn already. I also have an integrated LED tail light and those work together flawlessly. Currently I am doing the LED light strip mod in my headlight and trying to get them to be DRL/ Turn signals. I spliced into the DRL/ Turn wires and used diodes like pictured to make the LEDs in the headlight blink when the turns are activated.

The problem I am having is when I do this my front side marker lights that are 3 wire just turn off completely now when the turn signals are activated. Everything else on the bike functions correcly, rear lights and gauge cluster indicators. Is there a way I am going to be able to keep the 3 wire turn signals and use this mod to make the 2 wire LEDs blink? I know I could just use the turn wire and eliminate the DRL wire on the front side turn signals, basically doing the 2 wire setup for the side markers, but was hoping for a better solution than that.

EDIT:
I made an oops and my turn wire was not all the way hooked up causing the problem. Everything works great now.

Last edited by gotcbr; 03-27-2012 at 12:00 PM. Reason: bolded for quick reference ;-)
Old 04-16-2012, 08:54 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That's exactly why I need!!!

Originally Posted by gotcbr
Wanted my connections to be plug-n-play for easy install & removal. Had seen the various "kits" at high prices for sale. Here's how I did it. I wired the diodes to Indy Leads on one end & quick disconnects on the other, shrink tubing of course. Cost = approx $5. Works just like the expensive kits & works just as well.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:46 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

thought this would help people if they make it this far.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:43 PM

i followed this but my blinker indicators on the guage cluster and rear blinkers stay constantly lit? and i noticed in the last pic the green wire runs to a seperate port please help?

Old 04-26-2012, 09:09 PM

ahh ha i figured it out they were staying constantly lit cus where the two wires tie into the diodes then u twist the other end of the diodes together to then feed out to one wire, well i forgot to seporate the two wires when taping them up (oppisite side of the one wire lead out) so they were touching so i simply taped the two wires and diodes seporately so they wouldnt touch and WALA problem solved!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-28-2012, 06:50 PM

Great write up. Just did this today and it worked perfectly. Thanks

Quick Reply: Convert 2 wire signals to 3 Wire Inputs