How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

Auxillary Electrical Setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 11:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auxillary Electrical Setup

It was mentioned in another thread that I should move my information to this forum so that the rest of you can share in my project. My goal was to add hardwired electrical connections for my radar detector, and in the near future gps. So with this information and my basic electrical knowledge I set out on my task of wiring up a setup that is not only safe (fused) but is isolated from my bikes power for safety (nothing like sitting on the side of the road cause of a short from an accessory). This project is incomplete but will be updated as I go. All that is left is to mount a fuse block, however, I havent found one I like. And to mount the plugs for the accessories to plug in to. I havent found plugs I like either. I was going to use cigarette lighter sockets but I want a smaller solution. For those of you that want to see my wiring please take a look here: http://bcphotos.homedns.org/photos/t...s.php?album=32 I have created a schematic diagram of the relay connections and will add that to my pictures tonight. If anyone has information on a good fuse block and / or power connectors please share. Im trying to keep this cheap cause money is scarce at the moment. Feel free to ask questions.

Peace
Brendon

Obviously your choice of fuses depends on your block and potential load. Another concern is output of your alternator compared to current draw on your electrical system. Killing your battery while the engine is RUNNING would really suck and be a bit embarassing as well.

All accessory ground wires meet here.

Relay is zip tied to another rubber mounted relay to isolate vibration, it seemed like a easy and good mounting solution

Wire route from the license plate light splice, zip tied to stock harness wiring, then plugged into the relay with a spade connector....I would like a nice fitting plug for the relay...but I didn't have one at the time.....future upgrades

The grey box and translucent connectors are a home made turn signal integrator. If anyones interested email me and I'll make a write up for it with pictures. Theres plenty of how-tos on the web though.

That connector splices the relay switching to the plate light, which causes the relay to operate on and off with the ignition, so you don't kill your battery if you forget an accessory on.

Liquid Tape...excellent stuff.

I thought about trying to utilize the empty slots in the stock box....but really have no need now.

Fuse block for all fused positive accessory connections, and main fuse connecting fuse block to battery. The second fuse block is for accessories you don't want switched off whe

Old 09-21-2005, 04:30 AM
Default RE: Auxillary Electrical Setup

Is any of this information useful to anyone?...lots of views and not a single comment....if its not helpful I wont waste my time =)

Old 09-25-2005, 10:20 PM

New member...What mach9 was saying was...If it isn't in laymans terms, the rest of us can't understand it. I want to rig a radar detector and electrical vest/chaps to something other than the direct battery aproach. Tell us non-electrician types how to do it. I have been waiting for a good explaination of "how to" in this area.

Old 09-25-2005, 11:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mach9 keep up the good work, am new here but that is proving to be a good resource... am actually using the set up to run som LED lighting...but am thinking of also running a phone charger off of it aswell.... post some more picks when you get it closer to finished..peace

Old 10-23-2005, 06:09 PM

UPDATE:

Parts List:
Radio Shack
Barrier Strip $2.49 Model: 274-670
Jumper Strip $1.99 Model: 274-650
Inline fuse holder x2 $2.59 ea. Catalog #: 270-1237

Auto Parts Store
Fuse Blocks $10.99 ea. Part: BP/15600-06-20
Relay $3.99
Wire - Used wire I had around already

I could go into detail about how everything is wired, however, as they say "a picture is worth a thousand words". Check out the pictures at http://bcphotos.homedns.org/photos/t...s.php?album=32 I have a couple of powerlet sockets on order, ill update the pictures when they are installed. Broke down and bought them based on other reviews.

Old 09-25-2006, 12:42 AM

Looks Great! Good job on the wiring. I'm a wiring freak too

I just got an F4i, and I know I'm going to end up referring to this in the future when I start wiring in some "extras"... however radar detectors are illegal in my state (VA) and I don't even have GPS in my car... I'm not sure what other accessories I could use, I haven't even started using a radio on the commute to work. I do plan on making a relay harness for my HIDs once I buy the parts...

But definetly a good job, very helpful!

Old 11-28-2006, 09:58 PM

Ok this project came to a grinding halt at the beginning of this year. My bike was stolen in the early days of February. Well as of 11/23/06 it was recovered. Definately ALOT worse for wear. I haven't started it up, but barring needing a complete set of plastics, new tank, new radiator, and stator cover it looks better than I thought it would. Heck at this point I had written it off as gone for good.

Old 11-28-2006, 10:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck with putting the bike back together... that really sucks.

I only just found this thread, and I'm glad I did.

As for aux power. I run a few accessories and am finding this thread interesting. For my heated vest I've routed the power source so it tucks under the seat. I'm in the process of sourcing a voltometer I can flush mount on the dash... On my previous bikes I was able to cut a hole in the dash and flush mount one. Like you finding the right plug type is tricky... for aux vests I've used a two-pronged trailer plug.

One mod I'm considering just for the wiring point of view is a rear facing camera. Hard wired and secured somehow to the bike.

I do want to see pics, but I think your site needs a password now. I'll check your gallery out after this post.

Cheers,
woot.

Old 12-07-2006, 01:33 AM

Hey Woot. I don't know how you keep up with this forum and XJBikes at the same time.

As for the wiring stuff: I see that you found a fuse block. I got a 4 fuse block from Schuck's for about $5 last year, just FYI

I tried wiring a cigarette lighter onto my last bike, but I didn't like how huge it was, so I cut it off and crimped a smaller general use 2-prong plug onto the wire. I cut the cigarette plug off of my phone charger, and crimped the complimentary plug on. I plugged it into my bike, and promptly destroyed the cell phone battery. It seems that inside of the plug end of the phone charger, there are resistors and capacitors and what not to modify the current for the cell phone.[:@] Yes, I'm an idiot. Just a heads up in case you were thinking about doing the same thing.[:-]

Old 01-19-2007, 06:31 AM

ORIGINAL: HurricaneForce

Hey Woot. I don't know how you keep up with this forum and XJBikes at the same time.

As for the wiring stuff: I see that you found a fuse block. I got a 4 fuse block from Schuck's for about $5 last year, just FYI

I tried wiring a cigarette lighter onto my last bike, but I didn't like how huge it was, so I cut it off and crimped a smaller general use 2-prong plug onto the wire. I cut the cigarette plug off of my phone charger, and crimped the complimentary plug on. I plugged it into my bike, and promptly destroyed the cell phone battery. It seems that inside of the plug end of the phone charger, there are resistors and capacitors and what not to modify the current for the cell phone.[:@] Yes, I'm an idiot. Just a heads up in case you were thinking about doing the same thing.[:-]
omg that is too funny. i cant balive u did that.

Quick Reply: Auxillary Electrical Setup