General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wow I hate hondas

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 10:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use to have problems as well as you can see in the F2 threads I created. It took about 1k miles to get use to it. Ive noticed the best thing I have learned was steel toe boats. With shoes it would compress so much on the foot that it wouldn't get a hard enough wack to get it in the next gear. Also I adjusted my clutch line as well when it activates. You will find it some times too that if you kick it up there it might kick it back into neutral if you don't fully get it in(happened a couple times in my 2,000 miles so far). Do good oil changes(helps with shifting) and you should be golden. Remember there are no syncros so it has to be fast.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I slip into neutral occasionally when I'm not paying attention to my shifting. Right now it's about once a trip (up from my once a week while I adjust to my bike working right).

Other than embarassing, no biggie. Just give it another kick and go

Old 10-04-2009, 04:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet, thanks for the responses. I'm thinking that lowering the shifter might give me a better angle on it. On my buddy's yamaha it doesn't seem to have the same problem. The shifter feels stiffer and the throw is shorter. I saw on another website this guy installed a short-shift kit on his F4i to help solve the problem.

I did it twice today, and like Krux said I noticed it has a lot to do with how quickly I shift. I think the fact that there's no synchros in the tranny make it imperitive to shift fast or the cogs won't go into the housing easily---hence the fluttering some ppl experience.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:49 AM

think i might be just lucky with mine, or because of the "shift" shoes i wear they have little tabs on top of the toe area, so when i stick my toe under its alrady starting to push on the shifter, funny thing is, the only times ive missed 2nd was granny shifting with the clutch, when i "synchro" shift ive never missed second, ive heard this method AKA speed shifting was bad for the tranny, my dad used to drag race back in the day when camaro's were 3,000 new, he swears if your RPM range is right and you dont mash it into gear it wont hurt, any thoughts on this?

Old 10-05-2009, 12:49 PM
Talking False Noobtral

come on ... welcome to motorcycles, i think honda makes automatic scooters! This is no big deal, +1 on the possitive KICK into second, no baby shifts, just so you know , the trans needs to have solid shifts or the trans would not hold up. ask a yammaha rider, they have weak little transmissions but dont false nuetral as bad. hondas hold up for the long haul. dote hate HONDA for being rock solid.peace

Old 10-06-2009, 10:38 AM

gotta agree with that totally, in the new member posts in my into i list a good few bikes i had, they all gave me the "false neutral" just thankfully my hurricane does it the least, but i did notice they all felt different in the way the shifter traveled....and how it felt when it did, love it with my hurricane tho.....just starting to wind up her powerband, then a good nudge up on the shifter and as smooth as you want, next gear no problems, yea, i can say ive gone for second then no accel then look down quick to see the neutral light on....just find second and forget it, speakin of which, time for a ride, got a few good warm days left, off i go

Old 10-06-2009, 11:11 AM

Wow I hate people who expect a bike to magically reconfigure itself properly as soon as a new rider sits on it. Def a "nub" assumption. Do your car seats automatically adjust themselves to your legs as soon as you sit on them, too?

I know its been stated already, but I had to reiterate: If you're having difficulty shifting, you need to adjust your shifter to meet your comfort and needs. That's one of those things that's an absolute requirement when getting a new bike, but nobody actually does, like adjusting height and suspension. The bike comes out of the factory set up for someone who is not you; of COURSE something's going to not fit you. That's why they make everything very easy to adjust.

I do have to admit however that the Honda rearsets are garbage, especially the placement. It's way easier to get a good shifter feel with some aftermarket pegs.

Last edited by johnnyx; 10-06-2009 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:47 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Learn to ride j/k sorta....

I have done that b4 too but learned it was mostly me NOT THE BIKE! I rarely have it occur now and when it does, it seems to be when I'm not wearing my riding boots, go figure.

try adjusting the angle of the shifter so it fits you better.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:13 PM

Sounds like you might have developed a habit from a previous bike that isn't working very well on the new bike. You've just moved from clarinet to sax. Gonna have to adjust. I have almost always adjusted my brake and shifter to feel right for me.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by abeer1
Just switch to GP shift, then you don't have to worry about pulling up to shift, just tap down. So much simpler.
thats what I did on my f3 helped alot

Quick Reply: wow I hate hondas