General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it worth fixing

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 10:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it worth fixing

I have a 1994 Honda CBR 600 F2. A friend of mine droped it in a parking lot. The forks are bend the front rim is bent the left side lower fairing and the front cal are trashed and from normal ware and tare the exaust can is starting to rust in a few spots so and its loosing air in some spots but still sounds mean as hell thats all that I know is wrong. The engine is still runnin strong its been jetted and boared so I dont want to just scrap that. other than the bent forks she even drives good. I just tryin to figure out money wise is this worth fixing or should I part it out

Old 11-19-2009, 10:47 AM

Well. I will say that I fixed mine, and I was much worse off than yours when I started. I bought it wrecked, so I had the added pleasure of not knowing what little tricks were there for me to deal with even before it was wrecked. As it turned out, essentially everything on my bike was destroyed in one way or another, and I fixed it good, and I fixed it cheap.

I had bent forks. Badly. I dealt with those with a floor jack and some wood blocks and some patience. Every bearing in my motor was spun. Fixed that. Film bearings are cheap on ServiceHonda. I had busted plastics like none other. I prowled eBay for a hecka long time, and just won my last tail panel I needed for $1.04 plus $10.00 shipping. I had a bent frame. Fixed that with aircraft-cable come-along ratchets and blocks of wood and a fat man that I have at my disposal. I had bad wheel bearings, all around. Fixed that. $18 on eBay, per wheel.

The point is, good things come to those who wait, and your situation is especially promising since your motor isn't busted to squat like mine was.

I will say that if you do decide to part it out for whatever reason, you can start right here, with yours truly.

-Jim

Old 11-19-2009, 11:04 AM

To be honost I don't know much about fixing bikes exspecially small tricks like using wood blocks to straiten forks ima try that by the way but I was planning on spending the winter with the manual and a case of beer trying to learn how to fix every thing I was just seeing if it was going to cost a lot to fix but yea its good to know its worth it cuz thats my first bike kinda grown attached to it who would have thought you could do that much damage only going like 10mph if that any more little tricks to getting arround spending a lot feel free to let me know thanks

Old 11-19-2009, 11:17 AM

fix iittttt!!! theres tons of resources on ebay for the used parts market. and many of the members on here can tell you what to look for in a used part to see if its worth it or not.. I can tell you right off the bat: look for broken tabs on any of plastics you need...

I say this of course, under the impression you want to keep the bike for sentimental value.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:52 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First off... If your "friend" is any kind of friend, he'll pay for his mistakes!!! He should pay for the damage he caused PERIOD. That aside, I look at it this way...

Quote... "is it worth fixing?"...

Your query for a decision basically breaks down into two questions...
1) Emotionally vs. 2) Financially

1) Emotionally... if you're "attached to it", then...
Fix it if you want...but w/ the understanding that you'll never be able to sell the bike for what you'll have in to it. Nothing wrong w/ this approach as long as you understand that. If you really like the bike & want to keep it going, then go for it like others suggested.

2)Financially... "Money wise" ? Strictly financially speaking to bike-value w/ all you need & want to do, ...then, *no* its not worth fixing. It could be better to cut your losses...ie. part out the bike & sell the parts.

Just my $.02. ;-) Good luck.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, how did your buddy tweak the forks and bend the rim by dropping it in a parking lot???

I think there's more to this story...

Last edited by chuckbear; 11-19-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:13 PM

Well I say fix it differently emotinally and financially
1) Emotionally: if you are attached to the bike then fix it. Put your sweat into it and make it into something that you build and you are proud of

2) Financially: When you think about it, most newer bikes cost almsot as much as a car. and can cost alot. The f2/3 is a great frame to build on as you can do conversion to almost ANY bike you want. (thats a 600 of course) People have done the f3, f4, f4i, 600rr, R1 conversion on this bike and probably many more and spent less than a new bike. I am almost finished my bike and i spent less than $1k on it and its gonna look NICE. i only bought my bike for 800 so Scout ebay for parts and find great deals. then its easy sailing from there

but if you want power.. F2's still have an amazing amount of power for an older bike compared to most other sport bikes but if power is an issue, then u gotta get a new bike. One thing which i just learned which will recover power and even gain some torque is to upgrade the ignition on your bike

Old 11-19-2009, 05:41 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyHoffa
Fixed that with aircraft-cable come-along ratchets and blocks of wood and a fat man that I have at my disposal.
What was the cost of the fat man's labor? Sorry, I just find that little bit too funny. Anyway... if you're looking to fix the bike in hope of flipping it for a profit. I wouldn't do it. Your money would be tied up into the bike too long versus for the little return on investment (ROI) you would get. Sorry, finance classes coming through on that one.
If you're going to buy the bike, do the repairs yourself, keep and ride the bike, then it could be worth while looking into fixing the bike. The only thing is, good used parts for F2's and F3's are getting kinda hard to find on eBay any more. I come across this issue all the time... my bike is a 97 F3. Usually you'll find things that are worse off than what you have. Like Hoffa, with patience, you'll find what you need.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:20 AM

Fixing it wouldn't be that hard. There are plenty of cheap parts out there. These bikes are so simple to work on too. I love it!

BTW, punctuation is your friend.

Originally Posted by germ612
To be honost I don't know much about fixing bikes exspecially small tricks like using wood blocks to straiten forks ima try that by the way but I was planning on spending the winter with the manual and a case of beer trying to learn how to fix every thing I was just seeing if it was going to cost a lot to fix but yea its good to know its worth it cuz thats my first bike kinda grown attached to it who would have thought you could do that much damage only going like 10mph if that any more little tricks to getting arround spending a lot feel free to let me know thanks

Old 11-25-2009, 11:30 AM
Default my fault

Basically He tried to turn arround and he hit the throttle too hard and it shot out into the curb smashing the plastics and bending the rim and forks. I look at it like this, I kenw he didn't know how to ride like a dummy I figured whats the worst could happen and it did so overall my fault