General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wont stay running

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 06:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wont stay running

I have a 2001 F4i and right toward the end of season last year i started having trouble with the battery. It wouldnt hold a charge. I would be sitting at a stop light and it would go dead and wouldnt start back up. So i dedcided to just wait until next season to get it looked at and i took it to a honda shop and all they did was charge up the battery and they said it started right up for them everytime. Well me and a friend are painting it and when we got done i took it out and tried to start it and it did the same thing. so i just rolled down the drive way and popped the clutch and it started. well when i got it home i turned it off and tried starting it and it started right up and started again the next day but once i turn it on and let it warm up and the rpm's rise then as it gets warm the rpms start going back down and then it just kind of bogs down and dies. I dont know what it is and i dont really want to take it back to the honda shop so they can charge me an arm and a leg to charge the battery again. What could it be?

Old 03-18-2006, 07:09 PM
Retired Administrator
Default RE: Wont stay running

Dude... they charged you for that!!!!

Sounds like you need a new battery to me. Is it the original battery? You should only expect about two, maybe three years out of a battery.

Old 03-18-2006, 07:16 PM

Yeah they charged me.....When i try to start it it doesnt seem like the battery anymore because all the lights come on full and all the gauges the same but before they were all dimmer and sometimes not even come on at all but now everything seems fine just wont stay runnin. warms up and then the rpms go down and it bogs down until it dies.

Old 03-18-2006, 07:47 PM
Retired Administrator

But once you get it running and moving... it stays running? Charging voltage is around 5k rpm, so I'm still going with a bad battery. Have you every changed it? If not, you're over due for one and it's a cheap test. I would trust the shop to test a battery either. I'm not sure of the details of it, but I've seen a few people take their bikes in and after hours of trouble shooting and lots of $$$.... they buy a new battery for $30-$40 and fix it.

Old 03-18-2006, 09:05 PM

yeah once i get it running and going it stays on unless i let it sit like if im at a red light it would die if it sat too long. no ive never changed it and people have told me i should change it and that should fix it but they say a battery would cost me like $150. and if thats what it takes then ill do it i just want to make sure it fixes it before i go and spend the money ya know.

Old 03-18-2006, 10:43 PM

You can go to Sears and get a bike battery and a good charger for $50.

Old 03-18-2006, 11:44 PM

I can get a "GOOD" quality battery and get a charger for $50. Its not going to be like some cheap battery that im going to have to replace 6 months later is it?
Is there anything else that would make my bike die like that? I'm pretty sure im going to change the battery since it seems like its due for it anyways but if it could be something more serious ill just take it to a shop and have them look at it.

Old 03-19-2006, 03:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you plan on keeping the bike I would spend the extra money and buy a Yuasa or similar quality sealed battery knowing they are one of the best made.

Old 03-19-2006, 09:33 AM

And im guessing those are the ones that cost like $150?? could it be anything else that would make my bike keep dieing like that or is it more than likely the battery?

Old 03-19-2006, 11:38 AM
Retired Administrator

I just looked up your bike/battery and you use the same as mine. YTZ10S Yuasa. It's about $100+shipping to buy. I'd take it to a local interstate battery shop and have them match it up. I'd expect to pay around $50-$60 for it.

Here it is for $60 shipped

Quick Reply: Wont stay running