General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is my front end shaking under braking.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 10:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is my front end shaking under braking.

I have a problem which I started to notice late last year. When I come to a stop using the front brake and little to none rear brake, the front end of the bike has a vibration which feels like the wheel is hopping. This is only at the last few mph before coming to a complete stop. If I use the rear brake a little more the vibration is considerably less but it is still there. What could be causing this????? I ride a 2005 Titanium 1000RR. Could the discs be warped? Perhaps the suspension settings are off? I'm looking for some info from the best CBR site I have seen. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:27 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Why is my front end shaking under braking.

I have the same thing. The brakes are just shuddering a little, which kind of feels like ABS pulsing from older model cars with anti-lock brakes.

I can't find the thread where the fix was (which was simple). I believe it was something to do with a bolt or two. It's not really a problem though, just an annoyance.

If I find that thread, I'll post it here.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it were at higher speed then I'd say suspension....low speed, that's a doozy. Check your calipers and pad wear and report back. The wear should be relatively even.

Old 05-01-2007, 05:28 PM

It should just be the rotors. They are floating rotors so they have alittle bit of movement in them which is noticable at slow speeds. Nothing to worry about.

Old 05-01-2007, 06:14 PM

At first I just shrugged it off but now that I know how to reproduce it the issue is getting at me as to why it is happening. I'm in engineer mode on this and want to get it fixed or at least know the cause of this. It feels like ABS in your car and the handlebars shake pretty bad when the wheel hops. I'm ready to take it to the dealer and do it for them but from my experience with dealers the mechanics don't know how to fix it unless the manual tells them how to fix it.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:35 PM

check the thickness left on the rotors and and if those are still in specs, I would check for excessive runout

Old 05-01-2007, 09:19 PM

had the same issue,,, checkthe rotor's.
last year new tire, dealer forgot to tighten the disks back properly to the wheel.
2 days riding, noticed the bolts hanging out, warped one rotor. still need one.
lucky didnt lock up andream me, as bolts were actually "tapping" inside of fork.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:23 AM

probably warped rotors. too new of a bike to be sticky caliper or anything.. i say don't worry about it and ride the frickin thing. i'm worried about what the bike does accelerating not braking under 10 mph

Old 05-02-2007, 01:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also check the front tire wear - cupped tires will do weird things.

Warped rotors are possible... (check the wear items on the brakes)

The bike hasn't been down has it?

Other things to consider if it's not a more trivial expected problem:
- check the steering head is snug,
- check the forks are not leaking, or that one is set way differently than the other
- the road surface is smooth

Old 05-02-2007, 03:20 PM

I'll look at the front tire and rotor. I only have 2600 miles on it. I will also check the suspension settings and maybe play with them again. If all esle fails back it goes to the dealer. Is it normal for rotors to wear out a such low mileage. I don't by any means abuse the machine or brake system. I am on the heavy side being 270 lbs but I doubt that has really too much to do with it.

Thanks for all your input.

Quick Reply: Why is my front end shaking under braking.