General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does my can say not for road use?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 03:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All vehicles have a "Compliance" rating. Manufactured to pass the laws within that country/state & have a Compliance plate pop riveted to the frame or firewall.
Exhausts have to meet the Db (& motors emissions) levels, these can vary from country to country. (& be more strict in places like California). The reality is that this compliance also applies to every component on your vehicle.
Here in my state, there has been over the past 10 years or more, a real effort by the powers that be (Police & Road & Traffic Authority) to come down hard on us bikers & have conducted random emission & noise checks. Its also used as an excuse to pull you over & do license checks as well.
To stop this problem, there are a couple of manufacturers here in NSW (one being Staintune) that actually meet & provide the "Compliance" rating with their pipes & its up the the individual whether they want to display it on the exhaust.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by letsride
But is it factory or aftermarket?
aftermarket it is in the catalog for harley -- its the screaming eagle

Old 03-01-2010, 07:45 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bigboi18184
aftermarket it is in the catalog for harley -- its the screaming eagle
Ed Zachary -- no $50 for you

Old 03-02-2010, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by chainstretcher
Ed Zachary -- no $50 for you
awe man so thats is a factory exhaust well thats just

Figured their were none but searched anyhow and thats the only one i could find that said 50 state legal.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:01 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The other crazy part of the article is HD being on the cutting edge of cutting out noise. Go buy a HD and before you ride out you'll have 4 members of their staff trying to sell you screamin eagle this or thunder pipe that ... it's big $$$ for their shop to charge you $200 extra for the pipes plus labor to install.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:03 AM

I got a viper on mine and as its sold with a removable baffle in it it is roadlegal and even has the british standads mark on it saying its road legal, have been stopped before because they thaught the bike was to loud, i just pointed out the EU marking and he said fine and left me to it ..... dont think he rearlised i had taken the baffle out though lol

And as for them voiding insurance, in the uk its not a matter of it does void it, but insurance have the right to put it in the contract that it would void it ..... BUT .... and not many people rearlise, in england they allso have the right to void your insurance if you change your tires from anything but what was on there from factory and they think that caused the crash, eg. if you had a blowout or lowsided it etc