General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where might my electrical problem be?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 03:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where might my electrical problem be?

Ok i just bought a 96 cbr600. I knew it had an electrical problem, stator or regulator. When i bought it i rode it around town for 40 miles and it was fine.. just after starting so many times the battery would die. So i had the regulator replaced. when i left the shop i made it about 5-10 miles down the rode and boom battery is dead. Wont even make a sound when i try to start it yet the headlight and dash lights are on. So i get it home and replace the battery. Ride around town some and then as soon as i get about 10 miles out side of town the battery dies again. So ive replace the battery and r/r and now it dies faster than it did before i replaced the stuff. I noticed though that it has an integrated tail light and the wires under the seat are labeled left, right, ground and so forth, but the ground wires are snipped off both sides. Could this be it or what else could it be. Thanks the is my first bike and i really want to ride and only have got to put about 80 miles on it and its frustrating. Thanks for input

Old 07-11-2010, 08:09 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you are more than likely grounding out / shorting someplace .

With ignition off and neg battery term disconnected ......does current flow
from neg term to frame when using a simple tester ?

Old 07-11-2010, 08:18 PM

I noticed though that it has an integrated tail light and the wires under the seat are labeled left, right, ground and so forth, but the ground wires are snipped off both sides
I dont think that would have anything to do with it. If anything, the light just wouldnt work because it doesnt have a ground hooked up.

I would check the stator. Its the easiest thing to check in the charging system. All you have to do is measure the resistance across all three leads. They all have to fall within a certain range. If one or more does not, then its bad and needs to be replaced. The ohms will vary on bike, so you will have to check the service manual for the proper spec. or call the dealership. I will try to find the spec and post it.

Also worth checking, since the battery is dying faster since your replacement. is to check the plug. Make sure one of the pins didnt get pushed out of the plug when you switched it.

While you have the multi-meter out checking the stator, you might as well check to see how many volts are going to the battery when the bike is running. Check it at idle, at 3000 rpms and 6000 rpms. the voltage should not fluxuate much at all. You should be seeing 14 volts or so.

Also, this is something that should be resolved rather quickly. Any component that is bad can take out a component that is good. Such as if your charging system is faulty, and you replace the battery, it can ruin your new battery.

Last edited by justasquid; 07-11-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:36 PM

Well come to find out, the regulator that was replaced was actually bad. It was a new part though. So i dont know how often that happens, or if my bike fried it within the first 10 or so miles. But the guy called me back and said that he put a r/r from a yamaha he had on it and he took it for about an 8 mile trip and said it was charging. So i hope that one holds up. Also there was no plug going to the r/r just 5 wires. I hear that honda had problems with the plugs melting to the r/r and im assuming that this has happened to my bike before i bought it. But i dont get the bike back til thursday so i guess i'll find out if it will strand me again. Thanks for you guys input! Theres alot of knowledge on this site and i appreciate the help. Im sure that this electrical problem is quite common on here!

Old 08-05-2010, 12:20 PM

this seems to happen to me as well on my 900rr. i made a thread for it, the only other thing different is my bike seems to fry a battery, making it smell like rotting eggs.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:06 PM

Never buy an ebay r/r for these bikes or even oem replacement. Buy the gsxr r/r, it is much bigger and will serve you for a long time to come.

My stock r/r burnt up, I replaced it with an ebay stock replacement r/r, it burnt up in 2 short rides.

Buy the damn gsxr R/R and be done with it already!

Old 08-06-2010, 01:41 PM

will the gsxr R/R fit on a 95 cbr900rr? because i been dying to find out if i can use a bigger one off another bike so i dont go thru this again. if so what year and size gsxr should i get the r/r from?

Last edited by CBRnoobie; 08-06-2010 at 01:46 PM.