General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats up w/ my carbs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 02:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats up w/ my carbs?

It starts right up everytime, 1st try. You take off in 1st, most of the time it sounds fine, RPM's up high, once they get high & you shift into 2nd it starts cutting out, like it is running out of gas, sometimes it starts jerking around. But if I just try to hold the throttle stready or open it a little when it is sputtering it will run. When I come to a stop, I have to down shift back into 1st or it will die.

The guy my friend bought it off of said he put a tank on it that the gas ate through some seal & the gas got down into the carbs or something....

You cannot shift out of 2nd or it will sputter & bog down so badly that even w/ the trottle open all of the way, it dies. [&o]Whats wrong w/ my girl & how do I fix her? New plugs were put in 2 days ago & I am running carb cleaner through it right now.....

Help!

Old 06-07-2007, 05:55 PM
Default RE: Whats up w/ my carbs?

if you know how, or if you know someone that knows how, you might want to do a general carb rebuild. take em apart, check for any kind of buildup or blockages in the jets, clean all the parts real good with carb cleaner and put them back together and see if that helps. i'm not sure about your specific bike, but on most bikes the fuel ratio is controlled by different jets, needles, etc, at different throttle levels. this website gives a good general overview of how most motorcycle carbs work:

http://www.hondanighthawks.net/carb14.htm

not sure if all that info would apply to your specific bike, but it gives you a good idea of how a carburetor works. if the carb overhaul doesn't help things, pull the spark plugs out and check for signs of a too-lean or too-rich fuel mixture. the plugs should have sort of a light brown color to them, with no buildup. if the mixture is too lean, the plugs will look sort of white. if it's too rich, there will be a dark black buildup on them. if they have either of these, clean them off with a wire brush of some sort and put em back in, then take it for a ride and see if it still does it. you might need some tuning with the jets, needles, etc, to get the right fuel mixture if that's the cause of the problems. my bike was doing something similar, when i gave it more than3/4 throttle, it would start to bog down, but if i held the throttle steady to maintain speed then it was fine. it turned out i needed smaller main jets, the fuel mixture was too rich at 3/4 to full throttle, and the leaner jets fixed that problem (i just did all this last night and took it for a test ride this morning and i think it fixed the problem).if you know how to do all this, then it shouldn't be too expensive to fix, and if you have a friend that knows how to do it, beg them to help you. otherwise you might be dishing out some cash at a repair shop to get the problem fixed.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:22 PM
Default RE: Whats up w/ my carbs?

My buddies dad is going to help me out b/c I have NO tools or I would attempt it myself! I have rebuilt a carb before, but I had all of the proper tools & such as well!

Thanks for your help!