General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what's +# / - # , like -2 /+1 etc?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 12:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink what's +# / - # , like -2 /+1 etc?

when people list their mods- often they list two numbers like -1/+0 or whatever. what does this mean? is it suspension settings?
ALSO- as long as i got you this far-
What is dynojet stage 1 or stage2 etc.?
i thought dyno jetting was adjusting the carbs(or fuel/air ratios - "i",s)
in a methodical way while monitoring hp. change on the dyno.?
how could dyno time and controlled and recorded adjustments come in a kit?
so i think i must be mistaken here too.
help anyone?

(i know , the subject line looks like im trying to curse in family ffriendly form (fff?)
but maybe its what got youre attn. i should try to make my subject lines more provocative or risque if i want feedback?. hmmm.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:27 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't help with the dynojet question but the -1/+2, etc., that you see I believe are the gearing changes they made. It stands for the front/rear sprocket teeth and how many teeth up or down they switched from the stock size. As you've probably experienced on a bicycle a smaller front sprocket will make it easier to turn the wheel but at the sacrifice of top speed. A smaller rear sprocket will give you more speed but it will require more work from the engine (more hp).

Last edited by RoadiJeff; 12-28-2009 at 01:31 AM.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:29 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The "-1 / +0" are indicating tooth changes from stock on the front / rear sprocket. So -1 / +0 is dropping one tooth on the front sprocket and no changes on the rear.

A Dynojet Stage 1 kit is basically a tune up in a can with 'plug and play' jet sizes for generic setups. So the instructions read "If your bike is stock, put these jets in and ride". Performance may / will improve but won't be near max potential.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:48 AM

Thanks Kuroshiro- again-
you came through on both the questions i was just pondering!!! (the other one about the ram air)!
I shoulda known- gearing changes of course! mine is -1/+1 - maybe ill write that and my 2 bro into my signature-
BUT> about the kit- does JETs mean the needle valves in my carbs?

Old 12-28-2009, 09:10 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by leo_black_label
Thanks Kuroshiro- again-
you came through on both the questions i was just pondering!!! (the other one about the ram air)!
I shoulda known- gearing changes of course! mine is -1/+1 - maybe ill write that and my 2 bro into my signature-
BUT> about the kit- does JETs mean the needle valves in my carbs?
Dynojet stage 1`kit, which I have in my bike, comes with different size main jets for each carb and new needles whose height is adjustable with an e-clip. Stock needles aren't adjustable, at least not on the F3. So you can tweak the AF mix by changing the position of the clip, changing the needle height.

But its very generic. Really a jet kit should be used with the dyno process, the whole monitoring of performance of the bike under load at different rpms, to maximize performance. The individual carbs might need different sized jets and needle heights than the generic recommendations.

I rejetted my bike because I couldn't identify my carbs jetting and needed a baseline to start from

Old 12-28-2009, 10:22 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by leo_black_label
Thanks Kuroshiro- again-
You're welcome. WE were glad to be of help.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:07 PM

Thank You too roadijeff!
I had written youre name into my thanks post above but it read too confising where i was tryin to say K had also just helped with the ram air question we were tryin to figure out in f4life's post-
i wrote you a thanks sentance on its own but it just looked like i was overdooing my post then- sorry to have over looked your clear and excellent contributions to my fumbling understanding of my trusty war-horse.