General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whats everyones thoughts on tires?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 06:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats everyones thoughts on tires?

I have metzeler m3s on the f3 right now. I have gotten less than 3000 miles out of them, and im almost to the wear bar. I thought about holding off just to see how far the rear would go once i hit the wear bar but I ride almost everyday, and just dont want to worry about having issues. They were new on the bike when I got it. I have been thinking about switching over to the bridgestone battleax 16s, with the dual compound. What do you guys recomend for good all around ridin? I do alot of highway, and spirited riding (twisties) and cruising.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:55 AM

Your going to get a ton of different answers on this one.

How many miles were on the tires when you got the bike?

If you do alot of highway riding and twisty riding, then a dual compound may be your answer. But, keep in mind, the dual compounds arent harder in the center than a single compound sport tire, then are just softer to the edges than a single compound tire. So your not going to get any more mileage out of one if your riding is mostly straight roads.

If your riding a lot on the highway, keep proper tire pressure in the tires. Not max pressure, but proper pressure for your weight and bike weight. too low or too high and you will wear out your tires faster.

I'm running pilot powers, not the dual compound, just the plain pilot powers and love them. I'm averaging 6000 miles before Im down to the wear bars. but as I said, everyone seems to be very different. I think a lot of it has to do with your riding habits and the area you ride in. If you spend the majority of your time going straight, the tires will wear out quicker. Where I live, I would say Im leaning over at least 30 percent of the time. There are not too many straight roads around here. If your in florida, I'd say you would be leaning over 3 percent of the time. You can see the difference in how much faster the tire in florida would wear out, plus the heat doesnt help either.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:03 AM

that makes sense. i live in ohio, we have some twisties but not a bunch.id say 80/20. 80 being straight roads. i try damn hard to find twisties, but sometimes i have to ride a good 40 miles to get to a decent road. i just wanted to see the general concensus on bike tires, as I am not real firmiler with them. I am pretty sure the tires were about brand new when i got the bike, i dont know that for 100%

Old 06-18-2009, 09:24 PM
Banned

ive got the bridgestone battleax.... they are great for everyday riding and i have had them for over 2500 miles, they seem to be holding up well!

Old 06-18-2009, 10:02 PM

I ran PP tires, and the rear lasted around 6k miles... ish... but i also had them on there a bit past the wear indicators...

I'm running PP 2CT's now, and ive got over 1000 miles on the rear, but i've been riding alot harder this year, so we'll see how long they last.... I love the tires, but just wish the rear would last a bit longer

Old 06-19-2009, 11:52 AM
Banned

as the summer goes on, it seems my tire fades faster and faster haha

Old 06-20-2009, 06:39 PM

You only got 3k out of M3s? Lots of wheelies or burnouts im guessing?

I replaced both continentals at 10,700mi with 2 M3s f/r. Got a screw in my rear tire at around 11k so replaced it with anothe M3. Im at 16,300 and havent replaced it yet and probbaly could get another 500mi out of it. There fantastic tires, so much feel when there cold and warm its better then Michelin PPs i think.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:15 PM

Hey man I have Shinko Ravens on my 1000rr. I've burned on the back one and have about 2300 miles on it. Still plenty of tread left also. Fairly cheap too

Old 09-01-2009, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by oldschoolsdime92
that makes sense. i live in ohio, we have some twisties but not a bunch.id say 80/20. 80 being straight roads. i try damn hard to find twisties, but sometimes i have to ride a good 40 miles to get to a decent road. i just wanted to see the general concensus on bike tires, as I am not real firmiler with them. I am pretty sure the tires were about brand new when i got the bike, i dont know that for 100%

where do you live in ohio , i road 7 hours of twistys the other day and it only took me five min to get there

Old 09-01-2009, 09:15 AM

just sold my F2 and had put an piolit 2ct on the front, miles were over 3k and it still looked new, and rode like a dream. my past two rears have been shinko 005 advance radial, and for 130 bucks mounted i think they are great. i ride 80 miles round trip almost every day, and i take the long cut to work(twisties)

Quick Reply: whats everyones thoughts on tires?