General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the BEST security chain? options?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 12:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the BEST security chain? options?

I'm finally going to be purchasing a bike this winter and am HIGHLY looking into security since my raptor 700 just got stolen from my parents house back home. And someone just broke into my car at my current apartment. My place is about 300 feet from where the bike will be parking in our carports. I want to chain it to one or the carport steel posts. What is the best security chain option than cannot be cut by the biggest bolt cutters?

Old 12-18-2008, 01:48 PM
Default RE: What's the BEST security chain? options?

hey. i literally just went to home depot and bought chain. a really thick one about $3/ft. i wrap that around my suspension fork and use a masterlock and use some chain as spacer on the lock so there isnt too much free play.

my bike is only worth around $2,500 you probably want something better.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:20 PM

there is no chain strong enough to stop the most determined thieves. full coverage insurance will be the best possible protection, in conjunction with a disc lock and chain through something not easily removed, such as a frame member. remember, the harder it is to steal, or the more work a thief has to do, the more likely they are to just move on to another target that isnt secured as well, or at all.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:35 PM

Check out webbikeworld.com; they review just about every accessory for riding including security.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:54 PM

they also have alarm systems for bikes.I seen them on ebay for as little as 20$..Dont know how good they work but im sure someone can help with that

Old 12-18-2008, 10:05 PM

thanks guys. I understand that every chain can be broken and that if a thieve wants something THEy'LL GET IT. Just trying to make it as hard as possible is the key. I've been looking at chains on the internet, and some are claiming that they're so tough that 42" bolt cutters will not cut them, and the only thing that can is a machine. I was even thinking of getting some REAlly BIG contsruction chain like 3/4" or something. I can guarantee nothing portable can cut through that in under 1 minute!

Old 12-19-2008, 12:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to **** on your parade, but I'm way more paranoid about my bike being pushed over than stolen. Misplaced priorities, I dunno heh.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:53 AM
Default Best motorcycle security chains

With any type of security on your bike you are essentially buying time, the stats are that a would be theif would spend 3 minutes on trying to steal your bike until they move on to an easier target.

This is exactly what testing companies like Thatcham and Sold secure do is to destructively tests chains, using everything that is available on the market, eg boltcroppers, freeze spray, bottle jacks atc.

The best level of defence is allways going to be your security chain, especially as 80% of bikes are stolen from home (36,000 every year in the UK which is more than are sold new) and 50% of bikers dont use any security at all.

The most popular method of attack is boltcutters and with newer types of battery angle grinders creeping in also.

The best advice is to use a high quality chain of a 16mm link diameter such as the Protector or the squire excaliber, both are guarenteed unboltcropable and have been designed to be highly resistant to absasive attacks (in fact they offer the highest abrahsive cutting time of any other chain).

You should use a ground anchor with your chain and your chain should be long enough to go through your rear wheel,swingarm and part of the frame wherever possible, if a ground anchor is impractical just loop the chain around an imovable object or another bike, this is really good when attending meets as a numbers of short chains can be locked into other people chains (not bikes ) so it keeps them nice and secure and you dont have to know where the other bike owner is to unlock yours.

If you need any advice just drop us a line.
http://www.elitesecuritysupplies.com/

Old 02-20-2009, 06:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a Mossberg